Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

reversed setups

D_dup3

Recently I met a drummer who has his kit set up in reverse of everyone else I've known (bass played by left foot, high-hat played by right, lowest tom on far left,etc.).

He says it's because when he began playing his marching band instructor had everyone start each piece with their left foot & so he always associated that foot with the "1"; also he points out that all other instruments have bass range to the left & treble to the right.

Anyone else use this arrangement---or know of anyone who does ?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many left-handed drummers set up "backwards", including Ian Paice (Deep Purple) and Phil Collins.

Personally, I agree with Drum Looney, best set-up for a left-handed drummer is "normal" set-up (HH on left, BD w/right foot, etc.) as it avoids need to cross over hands to play HH w/strongest hand.

I also taught my students to play open-handed, to help balance the right and left hands' skill, endurance, and control (almost all my students were right-handed).

• 2 weeks later...
I've got my ddrum kit set up like a lefty, not only for making me not so "righty" but sometimes I also assign a cow bell sound to the kick pad, to see how that works out when playing it with my left foot.

Archived