Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Drum samplers

superclock

I need advice from those experienced with drum samplers. I work with a drummer that uses V-Drums for demos. We record the midi information just for the hell of it. Typically we go into a real studio to track real drums. I am curious, however, about samplers such as Gigastudio. Will Gigastudio generate drum sounds that are acceptable? I've never worked with a sampler of this type. I think the V-Drums sound very fakey. Do the samplers sound the same way?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe that there are excellent drum samples out there. Just like keyboard sounds. there are some sounds that have a sweet spot in a certian octave location. Knowing where these sounds are and how to use them to your advantage is a must, when purchasing cheaper samples. Drum samples about the same. I would love to have a set of V-Drums, but you need to know how to play them to make them sound real and not digital.

I've heard drum, keys, bass, guitar samples that when are recorded properly in a top-notch studio sounds as the real thing.......no different. The samples for keyboard sounds have been sampled through-out all octaves in these high-end studios. They sound real! That's because they are real. It depends on how much you are willing to pay for the high end samples. Good CD's will run around $500.00. And they sound excellent!

I'e never heard any samples from gigastudio but I would think they would sound good. Go to a local music store and ask about that system, better yet call up the folks at gigastudio for a demo of their sounds. I know "The Hollywood Edge" has some outstanding miced samples on their sample CD that they gave me for free to listen to.

Nothing like the real thing to play with though....

Jazzman :cool:

I've played some time on the clavia dDrum, and I must say it's amazing. It's far closer to the real thing than the V-drums in my opinion, be it for the feeling of the hits and for the sounds. A guy at a store told me he had played the Vdrums with a guitarist playing the virtual guitar thing from Roland (simulation of guitars and amps...), and the whole was quite good, but all the studios where he had installed the Vdrums were unhappy with it (because they tend to mix it with real things, real miked instruments). Check http://www.ddrums.com for details if you want. There are forums etc.

Also, the ddrum allows you to dump your own samples in via a PC, a procedure the roland one doesn't allow. I personaly use a sampler Emu E5000 Ultra, and if you play your samples via Midi, the result can be good too (but be aware that the ddrum allows multisamples and multipositioning, you cannot do that even with a sampler :( )

Hope it helps ... :wave:

Originally posted by ilovedrums:

I personaly use a sampler Emu E5000 Ultra, and if you play your samples via Midi, the result can be good too (but be aware that the ddrum allows multisamples and multipositioning, you cannot do that even with a sampler :( )

Hope it helps ... :wave:

If you have an EMU Ultra sampler you can assign multiple sounds to different velocity values.

If you have a ddrum4 kit, you can use upto 8 different note numbers for sending out positional sensing info of the pads. If you assign different sounds to those 8 notes in your EMU, you have pos. sensing with the EMU as well.

Originally posted by MPCman:

If you have a ddrum4 kit, you can use upto 8 different note numbers for sending out positional sensing info of the pads. If you assign different sounds to those 8 notes in your EMU, you have pos. sensing with the EMU as well.[/QB]

OK, I understand this, but then you need both an emu (or another sampler) AND the dDrum (or the Vdrums as well, if you can find the notes assigned to the position on the head). If you only own a ddrum you can put your own samples inside without the need of any sampler.

But... thanx for the trick (I've just played once or twice on a ddrum, and if it happens again, I'll remember this... :thu: ).

I've played all the Roland Kits and the most realistic IMO is the SPD20 with pads and pedals. There's something about the velocity switching that really sounds authentic to me. I'm not even sure if the other Roland Kits do velocity switching. Most of the samples have two versions - a softh it and a hard hit. I've gotten drum tracks that you'ed swear were made on a real kit in a great room!

Archived