Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I think I got him guys

EscapeGuitarBoy

Thanks for all the help and ideas, they were all great... except for the one negative one (DoH)...

Too often, drummers are completely without musical inspiration and simply become human metronomes with an occasional fill and it's just sick. These people tend to make good cover band drummers but lack the creativity to help in the construction of originals.

My drummer has absolutly no issue comming up with his part, it takes him seconds to grasp and minutes to perfect and then, about an hour later, he's doing too much :) and I finally realized WHY he does that. I started a conversation with him about WHY he plays drums and he gave me the explaination that nothing gives him more pleasure than playing his drums regardless of who he is playing for and I respect that. When he asked me the same question, I grabbed my acoustic guitar and took him to the park down the road and sat in the field and started playing. Very soon, people started to gather around us and I selected a new piece of mine, one that he has not tackled yet, and I played it for these people. After the applause and wow's from the crowd, we went back to his house were I told him that the ONLY reason I play my instrument as much as I do and play live as much as I do is to look at a single face in the crowd and see that look of awe on thier face. In short, when I write a song, I write it for and to the listener and no for myself. Being happy with what I'm playing is a side affect and is just going to happen

Then, I related it to him. As a drummer, he likes to hear drums but the "little people" like to hear the music and if we make an effort to write our songs with the people in mind we will connect deeper with our fans.

Shortly after, we went to work on a new piece and it was his best drumming so far.

I'm still going to record him and follow much of the advise posted as tools to help him out.

Thanks again for the help guys.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived