Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

traditionals?

just wondering if anyone knew the laws on arranging a traditional song. sittin on top of the world is the song i need info on. i checked the harry fox site but it seems everyones got credit for their version. what differentiates them and if you arrange it in your own fashion are u clear? thanks for any info

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not very expert, but i think that if a song is REALLY tratidional (i mean: today almost every song has been aquired by someone, so what you thought was traditonal, in fact is no more free). But if it's really proven traditional, it can be arranged many times, and no one have to pay to no one.

:) Features Are Not An Opinion. :)

(John Hope, 2003)

http://johnhope.blogspot.com/

Addresse:

UIPLPPICDSS

Ufficio Internazionale Per La Presa Per Il Culo Dei Sbruffoni Statunitensi

Att. Tua Sorella

Codice Mavapigliatelindomo

Pirla Chi Legge

This is where we need a music industry attorney. Anything listed as traditional has NO copyright because there is no author. Question IS, is the arrangement copyrightable? I would post this question in the [url=http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=13]Studio Biz Forum[/url]

As Groovepusher Sly said, if it's PD there's no longer a copyright (& all songs/music eventually go into Public Domain). Per Wewus, [i]new[/i] arrangements of PD songs [i]are[/i] copyrightable. & while I'm not absolutely sure of this, I think that if you [i]completely[/i] re-arrange a copyrighted tune, [i]that new arrangement[/i] is copyrightable, though, of course, you still must pay the song's publisher/copyright holder.

Public domain is definitely fair game, and new arrangements of public domain songs can have a copyright. Performances of public domain songs can have a SR copyright as well (for that particular recording).

Archived