Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

dead toms

joe blow

hi everyone, i was tuning my toms the other day and i started experimenting with the sounds. I want to try to make my toms 'dead' like some drummers have. I am curious of what it sounds like to play on them. But I couldnt exactly tune my drum to make it 'dead'. I have coated emporers on the top and clear ambassadors on the bottom. How could I acheive this 'dead' sound without buying new heads? Tape maybe?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joe,

Just take them into a recording studio and tell the engineer you want to record your toms. He'll be certain to make 'em real dead for ya. :D

But seriously (actually I WAS serious but... :D ), yeah tape would help. You'd use pinstripe heads for maximum deadness, but pile enough tape on there and you can get it as dead as you like.

--Lee

Put T'shirts and towels over the drums. Experiment to get the right thing on each drum.

Before you get tape all over everything.

Ted

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

I'd try to talk you out of that "dead" sound - but, yeah, the guys advising you to use tape are right on.

One neat trick that Paul Leim (a big session guy in Nashville) showed the audience in a PASIC clinic is to fold over some duct tape about 2 or 3 times to make a small "wad" and bring about 1" or 2" off the end of the wad. Take the still unattached end of the tape and stick it onto the rim of the drum, so that the wad lies on the drumhead.

If you do this correctly, the wad will jump off the drum head when you stike it, then immediately drop back down, ending the note.

This provides a full drum sound, but eliminates any after-ring, which may be the sound you're looking for.

Next time you shop for heads, you'll likely want to replace those Emperors with Pinstripes, which are the more muffled head of the two.

Archived