Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sherman filter bank

Benjy King

Hey,

I record live drums almost exclusively. I do not own a sampler. I do have a Roland TD-7 turbo drum kit. Will one of these filter boxes help make a very acoustic (albeit electronic) TD-7 program *sound* more like a sampled drum loop? In other words...I need to fake it. I really have no idea.

Sherman filter bank:

http://www.en-port.com/indexopener.htm

Frostwave-the Resonator:

http://www.gaspedal.com/frost.htm#res

Electrix filter factory:

http://www.vintagesynth.org/misc/electrixfilter.shtml

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Benjy

P.S.

I have a few boxes that destroy drums very nicely. Distressor, CBS Volumax, Really Nice Compressor's, Transient Designer's, etc. I've also done lots of different re-amping with the TD-7 over the years. Yesterday I ran the four outs of the TD-7 (kick,sn, everything else) into an Altec 1567A four channel tube mixer into a 1073 EQ into a Distressor > line in to a DMX-R100 cranked in mono thru an Auratone speaker > miced with this little blue and chrome mic I bought at a swap meet. Definitely a *sound*. I've done similar things on a bigger level micing a JBL Eon (15" spk w/horn) with a U95S. All very cool. What this does *not* attain is a "routine 'A' sort of dry, acoustic drum kit that's been sampled and turned into a loop" sound. Just wondering if one of the filter boxes might get me closer.

Thanks.

Benjy

Benjy

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure the Sherman has it within its capabilities to give you a cheesy sampled sound. But I also hear that the Shermans are very hard to use if you don't know what you're doing and have the potential to $%!@ up your sound entirely. One of the drawbacks of its versatility.

If you're already playing an electronic kit, why not just hook up straight to a sampler? Seems kind of roundabout to take an acoustic sample/model from an electric kit and run it through an analog filterbox to get a processed sound.

BTW, for a kick, read the Sherman's online manual. Looks like their technical writers have been partaking of those vegetarian brownies.

the only thing thats going to make it sound like a sampled loop is to make it a sampled loop. a player playing a loop wont do it.

what you need is some surface noise mixed in with the bars you want to loop. loop it and you will hear the same instances in time over time.

instance=time/time

you might want to add a bunch of that altec distortion while you are at it. use your mixer to go to mono, mix in the suface noise... raunch it all up. then loop it.

and get a freakin sampler. i got an idea. ill trade you my akai s2000 for one of your altec 436's [438's, whichever with the pre ;) ]

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

The only thing a sampler would give you that a filter bank wouldn't in conjunction with a DAW is..... nothing. :D

The Akai filters are decent for a sampler, but they don't come close to grunging up things they way a sherman or a frostwave can (haven't heard the filterfactory). You'll still want some compressors working for you and pieces of air (pink noise, ambient hiss). That may be what alpha was referring to. The ambient noise huffing and puffing through the compressor is an important part of the looped vibe for me. Everything else a sampler can be done, can be done in a DAW with more precision: trimming, pitch shifting, volume envelopes, efx, etc.

The Rolands can be a little tame sounding in loops because of the lack of dynamic range and the lack of bleed through between drums. You could mike them through an amp to create more of a wash and blend that in. A friend did a set of loops a year ago using acoustic kit with just a couple of mid-priced mikes. He also used whatever V drums were top of the line at the time. (TD10 module?) He did some of the cutting and pasting on my DAW. You could hear the difference ...... even after quite a bit of mangling.

Hope this helps,

Jerry

LOL... a real drummer saying he has to buy a sampler because playing real drums is "cheating"... now I've heard everything.

What?? You people need to slow down and read these posts correctly.

I have a client who wants some very standard "Sheryl Crow" sounding drum loops. I don't own a sampler because I've never had a need for one. I ONLY record real drums. But, I do have a Roland TD-7 drum kit. I was hoping to *cheat* by getting the TD-7 to sound like a sampled loop. Where did I say "playing real drums is cheating?" This is very funny.

Benjy

I know Benjy, it was MEANT to be funny, thus the smiley icon. No offense at all was intended - I just thought it was funny because usually it's the other way around, people saying that sampled loops are "cheating" because they don't have a real drummer. You made it very clear that you HAVE only recorded with live drums in the past, which is why I thought it was "safe" to joke about it.

Sorry if you took it some other way, I didn't intend it as a slam at all.

--Lee

Benjy,

Whatever you're after loopwise can EASILY be done with a DAW and Filertbank using your acoustics and/or the TD7. The Filterbank is a great and nasty filter..it definitely has its own sound and character ( as long as that's what your're looking for ).

I've been doing loops for R&B, Pop, grunge artist for a while now and, even though, i own many samplers and lots of toys...i hardly use them now days, if your playing is solid, you have an excellent pocket and your production chops is happening...ANY loops/grooves can easily be created by playing them live or programming them.

I'm with vudoo. The Sherman is a great way to f**k s**t up (*p?), but if you're looking for that "classic loop sound", get thee an old kit, play thee an old beat, and record it "lofi". The sound of a loop is different from the sound of a machine in many ways, but not least of which is that the whole of the mix of the drums has been processed, as opposed to the individual elements. Also, a lot of classic drum breaks ("funky drummer", etc) were recorded with a minimal mic setup to acheive a "whole kit" sound.

Matthew Saccuccimorano

www.wilburland.com

Archived