Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Drummer Looking for help

Jay J.

hello, I am bass player but I came over from the bass player forum to look for some advice for my little brother. he really wants to play the drums but he does not have much money to start with. about $300-400 US. first could you recomend some sets that are good for beginners. in other words cheap but not a total piece of junk. and any other advice you could give to a prospective drummer would be great.

thanks!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anything you could buy for $300-400 is going to be a piece of junk ... UNLESS ... you purchase a used kit. You'll have a hard time finding a decent used kit for that amount of money too ... especially if you want it to include cymbals.

One man's junk is another man's treasure. If you search and look hard enough, you may find something that you'll be happy with. In my opinion, if you can find something for that amount of money, and it seems decent to you ... it probably is ... so buy it.

Good Luck!

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

I agree with bart, most good quality used sets can cost more than that. And that is just the drums.......no cymbals to speak of.

Look at Musicians Friend they have some good deals. There is a 5 piece Pacific EZ set for a low price of $300.00, with throne and cymbals $400.00. Pulse has a set for $300.00 with a crash/ride and hat cymbals.

www.musiciansfriend.com

Jazzman :cool:

• 4 weeks later...

Dittos to previous posts - $300 is not a reasonable sum to expect to pay for a drum set. At this price point, you're buying the cheapest of the cheap.

More reasonable to expect to pay $500 or so for something that will be respectable in terms of construction, hardware, sound, etc.

I teach at a store that represents Taye drums (a new name but good construction and excellent value). We sell Spotlight 5-piece kits for about $500, with cymbals and throne. These drums are fairly easy to tune (not all in this price range are!), the drums sound decent, and would respond well to upgraded heads (such as Evans G2's on tops and G1's on bottoms of the toms, EQ3 on Bass Drum). The cymbals and standard heads are good enough for a beginner, and can be replaced later.

Pearl's Forum drums are a similar kit, selling for about $599 online and mailorder. Again, decent shells and hardware, workable cymbals and standard heads for a start.

If you don't have a knowledgeable drummer to assist you, I don't recommend you consider used drums.

You'd need someone who has knowledge of different drum lines, and what that line of drum sells for new, or what a similar kit would cost you new.

You'd also need someone who knows how to look at used drums to determine if the shells are in good shape (not warped, plies seperating, etc.).

Is the hardware and heads in good shape? If you spend your $300 to buy a used kit, but have to spend $160-200 to replace/repair hardware, heads ect. what have you saved?

One concern of many who are buying drums for a beginner is the "what if he/she doesn't stick with it?"

The answer to that question is that you'll be better able to recover much of your purchase price if you sell a name brand, fairly new kit than if you buy one of these no-name, store brand $350 kits!

Do you play one of the $99-$199 basses? If not, you understand that spending more gets you more.

Same with drums!

Archived