Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Drum Mics?

SeeDickDrum

yo all,

I am buying a drum mic set up but need help. Here are my needs: (1) great sound (2) willing to spend some $$ but not too much (3) the way I set up my kit, I don't have much room between toms and cymbals.

Questions:

1) Of course the Shure SM57 is the safe bet for a tom mic. But I am worried that I won't have enough physical room for them between toms and cymbals. To save space, I am also looking at AKG C418's (expensive) or Audix D-2's or D-3's. Do the AKG's or the Audix mics sound as good as the 57's? Are the AKG's worth the money?

2) Do you all like the AKG D112 or the Shure Beta 52 for bass drum?

3) I like the Shure SM81 for overheads. Any other recommendations?

Thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welp, I'll probably go against the somewhat "popular" opinion here, but anyways.

Seeing as you don't have much room to spare between toms and cymbals, I would not advise you to go sm57.

You'll have heaps, kaboodles and bundles of cymbal bleed to deal with (especially if you plan to some serious recording). If you really need to use sm57's, those cymbals need to go higher up. Also, I don't really like how the sm57 sounds on toms either. But that's my taste.

I mostly use Sennheiser mics. On the smaller toms, the e604 clipon mic. On the 16" tom, a MD421. The e604's are especially great for live work. They can take a beating, and sound good.

Audix mics are good, from what I've heard.

I once used AKG mics, but never again (on drums at least). Their clipon mics have a tendency to break very easily, plus they have terrible support (over here at least).

2) I do not like any of the kick mics you listed much.

I prefer the Senn MD421. But many people swear to the mics you listed. That boils down to preference, musical style, what sound you're after.... Another safe bet on kick is the Shure SM91 (flat omni).

3) SM81's are good overheads. AudioTechnica has some good ones as well (can't remember which model number at the mo, though). Of course, were I loaded with cash, I'd get some Bruel&Kjær mics - buuuuuuuuut they are a bit ummm... expensive.

Good luck.

Kenneth

Watchers On The Storm

I use Audio-technica mics on the set. ATM63 HE(high Energy) on the snare and toms. I use threeof these mics for 5 toms. AT4031's for the Hi-Hat and overheads, and an ATM25 for the bass drum, located in the drum. I also can use the AT 4031 for vocals and for acoustic instruments.

Just something for the mix.

Jazzman :cool:

For the toms look into EV ND-308 or ND-408 - these are smallish mics that fit almost anywhere.

I would go with the Sennheiser MD-421 for kick (in fact, that is what I use). I've never particularly liked the D112.

SM-81's are awesome for overheads. I wish I had a pair of 'em.

--

Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

Don't be dissuaded from the AKG D-112 simply based on the posts here. This is a venerable kick drum mic used on a huge number of pro-level recordings. I personally love it.

Not that the opinions expressed here are wrong ;) just that you should do your own investigating, as Kenneth suggested.

Just for the record.

I think a better answer will come with a little more information. Such as, do you want a warm kick, tom, snare sound? Bright attack? Will you only use them live, or will you record with them too?

All the choices given and more are available and can be made to sound fairly close to the same in skilled hands. But some mics listed may be a poor choice if taken to bars and clubs subject to abuse, whereas many of the choices and more will give great results if they are to be left home all the time.

More of the sound is a reflection of technique than it is the mic in unskilled hands.

I agree with K1neta and PSound,

The application that you will be using this for is important to know. Some cheap mics can sound pretty good if mixed properly. Just the same for a good mic to sound bad if mixed poorly.

I thought the SM57 was better for the snare?? That is where I would put it. Would the SM58 be better for the toms?? Beta 52 for the bass.

A couple of good overheads could help the space problem, but depends on live situations or studio set-ups.

Clip on mics.......D-Series $600.00, D2's for toms, D-1 for the snare, and a D-4 for bass drum.......just a thought. I heard though the clip on mics tend to get loose on the drums. I have no experience with these, but again a lot of drummers use these too.

Any of you folks ever use these??

Just a thought....

Jazzman :cool:

Archived