Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Steady Drum Work........... lots of questions, answer away.

Jazzman

The questions here reflect steady drum work, pros, cons, and tough situations you've been involved in.

Myself I used to play in night clubs 3 nights a week, but after a few months the owner changed us out for a different type of band to get a change of pace at the dance hall. I felt that it was very hard to attract those types of gigs......your thoughts on the following.

1. How many of you play in studios as a session player most of the time? Do you use the studio's drums or do you set up your own for the sessions.

2. If you are a session player is there one studio that always asks for you to come back?

3. How many of you play in night clubs on a constant basis? Is your set at the gig and you just set in and play with your band?

4. How many of you sat in for other drummer and ended up being a member of the group because they liked your playing better than the original member?

5. Have you ever been thrown out of a band because they didn't like the way you played, even if the work was steady?

6. Did you ever get the band steady work, or was it always there for you due to the other band members got the gigs?

7. Are the song sets the same or dies the band mix up the sets because the work is steady, and crowds may get bored with it?

8. What is the most you've been paid for steady work, as compaired for one time affairs?

9. Have you ever done some one a favor and it ended up as a steady gig?

10. If you played at a steady gig, what were the best days for the crowd showing up?

11. Do you advertise yourself as a session player.

I thought these questions would stimulate some of you to spill the beans on your drum playing ventures, and how much enjoyed either as a session player or as the Lone Ranger.

My fadeout..........

Jazzman :cool:

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Jazzman - you're looking for a lotta info (all very good questions), but I'll give it a shot.

I do session work in three local studios, but not as much as I used to. Samples, loops and drum machines have eliminated a lotta work. Two of the studios have electronic drums and the other has an accoustic kit, so I normally use their gear (since they already have everything dialed in). I do have a set of V-Drums, a maple kit, a birch kit,10 different snares and about 40 different cymbals - so I'll find out what the music will be and try to bring what will best support the studio gear - it all depends on the session.

Regarding being asked to come back - I'm more of a pop/funk/jazz drummer - so I don't get calls for rock sessions - but I do get most of the calls for the pop/funk (but so much of that is programmed). I do get calls to program drum parts (which I learnd to do in the 80's and 90's when that was the trend). I do get calls for some jazz gigs, but there are lots of better jazz players who get 1st call.

Regarding club work, although in years past I had house gigs that allowed me to leave my drums set up for as much as a year or two at a time, these days it is mostly one nighters (house gigs are not very common anymore).

I have been hired by bands (twice) after subbing for the steady drummer - both times I felt bad for the other drummer, but life ain't fair. I've never been asked to leave a band (but I work very hard to be a good player, a nice person and a professional).

Regarding steady work - although I do hustle up some gigs, I try to work with groups that are established (with a leader who books the group) or with groups that have management/booking agents - so there has always been steady work, but not normally by my efforts.

Regarding advertising as a session player. I think all musicians should be part saleperson. I have visited studios with demo's, a bio and references, trying to get a foot in the door. However, most studios/producers/engineers have their preferred players. Normally session work comes from recommendations or from a drummer being in a studio with a group and the producer/engineer likes what they hear.

Thanks freelance for answering the questions, these are some of the things I've been involved with in the past, and wanted to get other's feelings.

I've actually sat in for a drummer once at a practice session and the band wanted me to keep practicing with them weekly, then I found out that they cut the other drummer. They didn't tell me at the time when I first showed up that they had another drummer on board.

I felt bad, not my intention. I thought I was just filling in for a practice session that needed to happen.

I've never played as a session player at all in a studio.........I guess I do now in my own studio........HAHA!!

Anyone else want to be brave enough to tell us about yourself???

Jazzman :cool:

Archived