Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

begginer drum kit

cool bass dude

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I prefer Tama. I like the rockstar for a begginer set. Mine has done me well. If you get the right heads they sound acutaly pretty good. But i would get a differnt snare, i dont like the rockstar snares.

OK cool bass dude......H u u m m m m! A bass player starting off? Is this assumption correct? If so I can understand the need to jump to drums, just kidding.

Well there are a lot of cheaper, smaller drum sets that are available, as well as used sets that may be of interest to you my man. Here's my take.

Pacific has a 5 piece EZ set for around $300 with cymbals and throne for $400, there is a Pulse 5 piece MX503 set that includes cymbals and throne for $300, MAPEX has a 5 piece V5254T Standard set for $500, TAMA has a Swingstar Ready-to-Rock Standard 5 piece for $570 including cymbals, Pearl has a Forum FX725C that comes with an 18" crash/ride and hi-hat cymbals.

All of these would probably make a good first set. You could always sell them later on for about the same price you purchased them for because they are already on the lower end of good well known name brands. The hardware and the make-up of the shell contribute to the lower price. If these will be used for a studio set-up it might be better to look at getting the next up-grade set(better hardware).

If you buy a used set, this may be a better value to start out with, in fact buying drums seperatly (no matter what color ) may give you even a better bang for the buck. It would be harder to sell later though and kinda hard to figure out all of the different ways to buy compatable hardware for the mixed up set. But for practicing, and for studio work the CD doesn't really care what the set looks like.

I think the whole idea here is to have a set that you can practice on, record and have fun with. The only suggestion I would make is to buy a little better bass drum pedal. I owned a cheap set before and between the metal shavings on the floor from the pedal falling apart, to the squeaking of the spring on the pedal made me go nuts. (Place an old rag under the pedal to keep the machine oil of the floor)

With a cheaper set you can improve them by changing out the heads that you like later on, and better cymbals as you develop your ear for drumming and skill, if this is the first set that you will have.

Bartman on this thread has gobbs of experience, and expertiese in the art of drumming and has an outstanding dictionaty knoweldge of all the equipment that a drummer can dream of having. I suggest reviewing the other threads on this forum and do a lot of reading. Check out bartmans answeres to them, a true learning experience.

I've had many years of experience, but don't play out any more. The set that I have in my studio is a 7 piece Export with a lot of goodies. Keeps me busy.

I have a very close friend that has 4 sets of real drums including a 5 piece YAMAHA set. He also has an older electronic set as well as a real set that he built out of different color and types of drums that he uses to practice on at home.

When choosing a set, better hardware is always a plus. Sometimes the cheaper hardware becomes weak after pounding away on the skins and the connection between the shell and the hardware becomes loose and the drums are hard to keep in tune. Better hardware is to have the lugs of both top and bottom heads connected to the same hold down,(Bart help me out here with the call out of the centered gismo, Ha,Ha). Heaverier looking hardware will usually also have the better quality. But all of this adds up to more dollars back to you. You can also look at Ludwig. I don't have any info on that set for you.

Well I hope this helps you a little, my friend. Ask as many questions that you want, some of us old farts will answer! :D

My fadeout...........

Jazzman :cool:

Archived