Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Drum head advice

saucyjack

Hello all

I'm a guitarist so be nice....

I run a small project studio and have inherited a old Pearl Bass drum ,2 toms,and a Ludwig (Brass?) snare.The drums sound ok but the heads must be 20 years old and need replacing.Any advice on a good set of heads for recording? Most of the stuff I do is sorta Indie pop/Alterna country if that makes any sense:) Also The Kick has a front head with cutout hole is it mandatory to replace this or can i get by with it as is.

Thanks in advance.

Smell the Magic

www.Katp.com

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey saucyjack im a bassist so be nice ;) Ive notest nobody has given you an advice. My drummer just went though the same thing. I would recomend evens heads he has been realy plesed with them, try g2's on top and g1's on the bottom. The kick pending the size i would go with a 2 ply batter that will give you a deep sound or a 1 ply for a lighter sound pending tast. The snare your on your own sorry but try differnt typs till you find what your looking for. Im probily not to much help but thats why i play bass :P If anything that will get you started and make your kit sound like new agine.

If you need the heads to last a long time, you might want to go with a two-ply drumhead. The two-ply heads sound darker because the two layers of mylar deaden the upper frequencies. A single-ply head will give you more "crack" and attack ... and is by far the head of choice for recording because it represents ALL the frequency spectrum ... allowing you to remove what you don't want via EQ.

There are countless models to choose from, so that would depend on the sound you are really wanting.

Brand wise I would go with Evans or Aquarian because they are consistent; far more than Remo.

The ported front kick drumhead may be okay as it is, especially if you plan to put a pillow in the drum. If you plan to get much resonance from the front head, you will probably want to replace it. The mylar (material that drumheads are made from) stretches with time, even if you don't play on it ... so frequent replacement is a good idea ... like once or twice a year (at least).

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Archived