Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your favourite drum mic setup...

adz

Just jumped over from the production/engineering forums and was wanting to get some drummer's opinions on their favourite mic setups when recording.

At the moment i'm using:

Kick - ATM25 + Neumann U47

Snare - SM57 (Top) + AKG C414 (Bottom)

Toms - Beyerdynamic M201's

Overheads - Either 2 Neumann TLM193's (If the room's not too bad) or 2 Rode NT2's

Room - Usually i'll throw up a couple of different mics at different spots in the room (Usually C414's, a SM58 and a Neumann TLM103)

I record mostly heavy rock and 'pop/rock' bands and it seems to work well but i'm in one of those moments where i would like to improve the sound.

The drumkits used vary from band to band.

Cheers,

adz

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi adz, and welcome to the drum forum, there are a few topics in this forum that may help you get some of the answers to your questions? You'll have to go back in time a little.

Check out these two topics for starters, "I need your help on drum mic purchases", and "Proper drum mic placement" just to name a couple, actually on this current page.

Sounds like you have all the gear to do the job. I'm sure some of the other regulars here on the forum will add to the mix for you. Myself, I use all AT mics all around, including vocals.

Peace........and stay tuned.......

Jazzman :cool:

My Mic setup is as follows:

AKG D112 on May internal mount for Kick

Shure Beta 98 on each Tom

Shure Beta 57 on Snare

(2)Shure SM 81 overheads

K&K Hot Hihat for the Hihat

These all go to a Mackie CFX12 mixer then to the main.

This is the cleanest setup that I've been able to assemble. Only requires two stands for the overheads. Everything else mounts on goosenecks clamped to the rims or the stand.

[ 02-07-2002: Message edited by: countrydrummer ]

Archived