Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Drums for Roots Reggae

rold

I'm writing a roots-style reggae tune right now (on guitar) and having a really hard time figuring out how to sequence the drums. (A real drummer would be MUCH nicer to work with :D )

I think the style is called "one drop", where the kick is on the 2 and 4. Any tips on placement for the hats and the snare, tom rolls etc? I tried to do a google search but came up with nothing.

Any pointers, links to tutorials, etc. appreciated!

Thanks,

Harold

meh

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You could start with 1/8 notes on the high-hat. Accent every other 1/8 note like "one AND two AND three AND four AND" (accent on the "AND"). put the bass drum on 2 and the snare on 4. Fills can come out of anywhere, when playing reggae.

Give a listen to Bob Marley's "I Shot The Sheriff" - that's one drop. Bass drum on 3, rim clicks floating around it. Stereotypical reggae is either one drop (bass drum on 3) or four drop (bass drum on all four beats). The three is the heaviest accented beat either way.

--

Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the tips, the help and for correcting me on the meaning of "one-drop".. :)

Sorry I hevn't replied until now; been a crazy-as-hell week over here :eek:

Drew, I will definitley give you a call (how's the little one? any pictures posted up yet? :) )

Derek, please DO post a clip - it would be great to hear.. :)

Passiest, thanks for the HH tips, fellow Canuck! I will definitely try that rythm the first chance I get.. :)

Rob, thanks to you too for the help - I'll try both methods. How's life in Mo'real? Do you make it out to tam-tam much in the summer? I have yet to attend one, but I hear they're great.. :)

Peace and thanks,

Harold

meh

Archived