Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Drum compatible careers

Passeist

I need a day job that's more compatible with drumming. I used to work construction and renovations, and that was very compatible. After many years at that, I started worrying about my health and my future, so I took business courses and now I've got a little paper pushing job which is nice, but...

Bean counting and drumming don't go well together. I can't stay out late and expect to function the next day. I can't get time off. The drumming has to be a secret if I want any credibility at work. And I'm working with nothing but suburbanites.

I've been thinking about bar management but I hear nothing positive about bar work.

What do you guys do to pay the rent?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

work as cook!

where I used to work this summer and before x-mas (I'm still a student) we worked from 6 in the morning to like 3-4 in the afternoon... doesnt have a great pay, but you get all your nights free, and u can be a bit sleepy in the morning, its not a big problem, because everyone went out the night before too so you're not the only one... seriously its very compatible, eventho it starts early! you dont have to count beans u have to cook em, easier on the brain...

You need a job where you can keep your own hours. In other words, you need a freelance or consulting job. If you have a talent, hone it and then make contacts. I'm a freelance writer, which means I work as much as I need to to make money. I warn you though: IT IS TIME CONSUMING. You are your own boss and you have to discipline yourself. This means not posting on drum forums all the time. :)
Just for the record.

Welfare...just kidding.

Open up your own accounting biz. It's the way to go.

The corporate ladder will get you (at least for me) nowhere.

Shit, I wear jeans and a T-shirt most days to work and usually play drums an hour in the morning, goof around in the studio for 2 in the afternoon and leave at 5 to hopefully play some piano or get some culture into my head.

Archived