Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

drum midi controller?

skynare

Hi.

I want to buy a drum set for my brother but I know I can't buy acoustic ones because of the noises.

So, I'm wondering if there is "drum midi controller" or not.

Actually, I know that there are midi drums from Roland..etc.

Also, I heard that those drums use their own modules, but can I connect Roland...etc to giga sampler or soundfont in computer?

I also saw some drummers use drum heads, made with clothes, with something called "triger(?)". It was quite. Can you explain more about that kind of setting?

thank you.

S K Y N A R E

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pianoman, read some of the topics in this drum forum, actually on this page too. READ READ READ, LOL.

How much money do you want to spend? Does your brother play out or will this be his first set? Will this be for practice or will he be going out on gigs with the set? Does he have any drums now that he plays on? If he is just starting out go with a cheaper set to practice on for the noise condition. Don't forget about headphones that will be needed too.

There are a lot of electronic sets out there. There are the hard rubber types with built in triggers located on the main pad and on the rims. The fabric types have cone type triggers centered within the fabric drum itself.

Of course the more expensive sets have the best technology that you will be paying for. What type of music will he be playing? The cheaper sets have triggers that are not as sensitive to the stick hitting the pad as would be the the more expensive sets. The more expensive sets as the Roland V-Drums have the better trigger sets and more of them on each drum head and rim, allowing for more intricate stick action. The Nylon mesh heads are indeed quiet but cost more $$$$.

As far as Mega Samplers, and computer tie-ins to the electronic set goes, I don't use this in my studio as of yet, but I'm sure there are set-ups to access this data base with some software, a CD player with a sequencer, and/or downloading samples to the drum module itself, depending on what type of drum module comes with the electronic drum set that may have this download feature.

Some of the other folks here on this forum will be able to provide additional information to what I have stated here. The best way would be to visit some drum shops that have different sets and ask a lot of questions. Hit the pads and you will see what I'm talking about, as far as stick action is concearned. Play hard on the pads, then play softer.

Bartman, Filex, and others not mentioned here by name, have spent a lot of time answering these types of questions, so you need to read some of the related topics to get the bigger picture.

I don't know if I helped you much but if you get a chance to physically touch and feel them, get quotes and have the sales person play on them and explain the differences to you. You may have to visit a couple of places to hear and feel the diferences as well as go back to the same drum shops and ask additional questions after your review.

One last thought, buying a set of drums or electronic drums is like buying a car. A Vega may do the job but a van may be required to carry the load. You may get your brother something that he may or may not need based on his drumming experience. Has he ever indicated to you what he would like to have?

Oh well.........your brother is your bud, so spoil him!

Take care........

Jazzman :cool:

Archived