Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

sound proofing a room

jscoin

i have about a 9' by 10' room with about a 11' cieling. and i was wondering what is the best way to sound proof it. i have a drumset in the room and there are 2 doors and 2 windows in the room. it has brick walls and concret floors (i think)and there is a desk and 3 book shelfs in the room. i would need a way to sound proof my drumset without pads on the drums, like somehow building a "little room" in my exiscting room. the room will have to accomidate 2 guitar players and a bass player and me. any chep ideas for this project, o ya i am kinda of on a budget...?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Without going into a lot ot detail (there are several old threads on this topic), the easiest way is to add sound absorption to the existing walls. This could be anything "fluffy" that will eat up sound. The room is really too small to put in any bass traps, etc., not to mention that the low frequencies don't have enough room to even build up. Removing flat, parallel surfaces is always the first step, but with the small size of the room, it's going to be hard to change the parallel ways via construction.

Perhaps laying insolation over the walls, and tacking up a sheet or other material to hold the insolation in place, and keep the fiberglass from spreading. This would be the cheapest thing to do.

If you can afford to build a room within a room, go for it. Isolating it so that it floats in the room, including the floor and ceiling is a must. Air pockets and wall thickness will keep the sound out of the rest of the house. The insolation (or however you decide to treat the inside of the room) is going to help even more, plus make the room more comfortable to your ears while inside.

Try a search on previous topics from this forum; we've discussed this before ..... and many forum members have studios/rooms that have been modified with sound proofing.

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Doors can be extremely expensive to really soundproof. Sometimes folks put in double windows in studios. You are really going to get a lot of bleed thru both those openings. But I suggest getting barrier sheet. Most of the loaded PVC stuff has about a 27 STC. There are better sheets out there that are easier to work with that have higher ratings as well.

You may float your floor but if you don't have neighbors downstairs then don't bother.

Are you building new studwalls as well? If not you might just want to stick to the PVC barrier sheet and glue it to your brick then seal the joints with silicone or acoustical caulk -OSI makes a good one.

Have phun

i drew up a plan for my drum room, how can i go about sound proofing the whole room or would it be better to sound proof each individual insturments?

here is what i made:

http://zipper.5u.com/Drumroom.gif

Stopping drums is hell. The Kick and Snare will go thru just about anything. What a badd-ass instrument!

My project studio is in my basement just below our kitchen / dining area and until we put in a ceramic tile floor (about 2K lbs) the kick and snare came thru loud and clear - now it is barely audible. All the walls are doubled about a foot apart with insulation in the space and the inner walls are decoupled from the outer walls and drop ceiling. The walls are also double hung with 5/8 dry wall. The single outside window is also doubled (each has two-paned glass) and the door is metal and sealed around the frame.

You get the idea: MASS MASS MASS and dead air space. Nothing kills low end like MASS and dead air space, but especially MASS.

Don't waste time with acoutical wall treatments - that may condition the room to sound better (and is not a bad idea), but it will not make a dent in the sound transmission.

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital

www.bullmoondigital.com

I think another thing to think about is what is it that you are really trying to do here.

Are you trying to keep the sound from bleeding out through the rest of the house OR are you trying to keep the outside noises from coming in? I'm guessing you are trying to keep it from bleeding out into the rest of the house.

As far has keeping the sound out of the rest of the house, I had a lot of success when I converted my garage into a studio for recording and practice. All I did was insulate the walls, used two layers of sheet rock on the walls and ceiling, reworked the duct work a bit, and blew in 10 inches of insolation in the attic above the garage. My wife barely hears my kick drum when I play, and that's about it.

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

jscoin, if all of the players where to wear loose clothing, that outa do it! :D J U S T K I D D I N G..........hum, maybe not!

Well I would do what Felix, Steve and Bart are stating here. It's really the right way to do it. The enclosure will be a little smaller, but decoupling one vibrating wall and ceiling from another wall and ceiling will give you the best bang for the buck. I would remove the hollow doors and replace them with steel doors and sealed as stated, if you have the bucks. Frame in another plexiglas window, but be careful with code requirements for egress out of a confined space. Thick pile carpeting on the floor with padding works good in small spaces, or raised floor(use 1"x2" fastened to the concrete floor if that is what you have and float the floor as stated). By the drawing, it appears that you have two outside walls, is this true? If so the task is a little easier.

I've just placed large pillows on any horizontal stationary surface, shelves, and in each corner high on the walls within the room. I would do this just before I was ready to record. You will see the difference, snap your fingers before and then after. My first studio was in my home library, 12'x15'x8' high ceilings all drywalled, two glass doors and a very large window from the floor to six feet high. I did at one time have 7 people in that room recording including singers ........what a trip!

Hey what about the outside of the room, can another wall be added to the outside of the room, if so then all you would need to do with the walls inside is to add some fabrics. Now were back to just having the players just ware loose clothing again!!!HaHa J U S T K I D D I N G !!! :D

Sorry.............. Happy new year, jscoin

Jazzman :cool::D

Archived