Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Starclassic performer(Birch) or Pearl SRX/BRX????

jetoney

I need another drum kit for those times when I have two things going at once. I have a yamaha recording series kit that rocks, but I need something that can hold up live and in a session if possible. I just royally ticked off an engineer

when I pulled my drums to play a live gig, and had to come back the next day to finish a demo for someone. I recently

played the Starclassic maple kit which sounded great(may be out of budget), but I have not been able to hear these other three kits side by side, enough to be able to make a decision. I was curious who has experience/expertise to be a able to give me some advice on

these three kits. I know the basic stuff about construction and all that, but was curious what your experiences are with tone(recording & live) & durability and hardware pluses and minuses. I am in the SoCal area and if any of you have recommendations as to where to buy(online or other okay), I would appreciate it!

I was hoping to avoid GuitarMart Mania if possible.

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: jetoney ]

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by jetoney:

I need another drum kit for those times when I have two things going at once. I have a yamaha recording series kit that rocks, but I need something that can hold up live and in a session if possible. I just royally ticked off an engineer

when I pulled my drums to play a live gig, and had to come back the next day to finish a demo for someone. I recently

played the Starclassic maple kit which sounded great(may be out of budget), but I have not been able to hear these other three kits side by side, enough to be able to make a decision. I was curious who has experience/expertise to be a able to give me some advice on

these three kits. I know the basic stuff about construction and all that, but was curious what your experiences are with tone(recording & live) & durability and hardware pluses and minuses. I am in the SoCal area and if any of you have recommendations as to where to buy(online or other okay), I would appreciate it!

I was hoping to avoid GuitarMart Mania if possible.

I'm not really understanding the question. Are you having trouble lugging the gear around? Is it taking you too long to tune between live gigs and session gigs? Did hardware give out on you? Do you not (or did the engineer not) like the sound of your Yamahas in the studio?

All of the above could be conclusions drawn from your post, although I find it hard to believe that any engineer worth his or her salt would have difficulty with the sound of a properly tuned Recording Custom. You have a good kit, maybe should check for different heads for live vs. studio? That's another thread entirely, one in which Bart could write a book by himself, so I want speculate too much.

My impression of the Tama StarClassic is I'd just assume to go with a Pearl in the $1,200 class. I don't think there's much difference in the hardware, and Pearl offers sizes and sounds to my liking for the studio (open, w/sustained ring). I saw a maple Pearl for $1,100 at Guitar Center a couple weeks ago. There's a nice Pearl distributor from Prescott, Ariz., online at http://www.thedrumshop.com

Honestly, is there a real difference in kits in the $1,200 to $2,000 price range? Not a real distinction there. It puts you in a birch and, in some cases, maple class. I don't think I'd be embarassed with the $1,200 kit. Just my opinion ...

Thanks for the quick response!

A)Nothing wrong with my kit, it sounds great . Which brings me to,

b)anytime you have a kit setup for a session, and the sound is rockin', any engineer would just as soon give you the money to rent a kit and not tear down his/her work that got him/her there in the first place. Honestly, it takes about a half hour for me to load in and setup, another 15 minutes to tune any problem areas, and another 15 min. or so to just make sure everyone is on the same page; and go!!. That would be an ideal situation, assuming everyone has their s--t together(including me). Which leads me to,

c)If it goes to the next day, you walk in slam the tracks and go home; no setup(no matter how short or long). which leads to,

d)the hardware: I am interested in whatever it comes with because that way I drag my cymbals and go. I can afford the kit now , new cymbals later. I am interested in single braced

heavier duty(think Yamaha 700 series)hardware; easy to carry around, not that heavy, very reliable.

As far as tuning goes, got it covered, and your right no engineer has ever had trouble with my kit.

As far as being embarrassed about a kit that coasts 1200.00;

never. I am of the school that it is as much the player as it is his/her gear.

As far as Birch vs Maple, I like the qualities of birch(average sustain, good attack, kind of has an EQ'd quality most engineers dig),also it depends on the music you are doing(I do alot of different styles). A lot of times, in the studio, sustain means very little in the grand scheme of things unless your doing jazz or something along those lines(minimal micing- alot of room ambient stuff). However, live is a different story.

BUT, I have no experience with any of these other kits, which leads me back to the original question.

I certainly would go with the Pearl SRX(Maple) if I thought it was worth it, otherwise I might go up to the BRX(Birch).

I have never played a pearl kit, and am not familiar with the sound or hardware, of these models. Gaddabout, thank you for your response, I will check your link and do a little more reasearch. In the meantime, anyone else?

JT

I just got my SRX kit about 2 months ago. I'm very happy with it. My set up consists of 10,12,14,16 toms, 22 bass.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: Steve77 ]

Archived