Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Zildjian Vintage?

jflush

I'm on a witch hunt for a ride cymbal...I just got back from three music stores...I tried out so many different cymbals...my head is spinning...I've been home for a couple hours, but I can still hear the cymbals :eek:

Basically, I like the sound of the rides that the Beatles,Byrds,Doors and the Kinks used, to name a few...Most of my material is straight four, with the ride doing eigth notes...I would describe the sound of these bands rides as...gentle, soft...sweet. I guess what I'm wondering is how would you characterize the sound of these bands ride cymbals...Basically, what am I looking for???

[ 12-22-2001: Message edited by: jflush ]

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18" or 20", medium thin or thin cymbal. Lots of wash with very little definition. A lot of people will ride on a crash to get a similar effect. Gentle, soft and sweet isn't how I would categorize the sound - remember they didn't have a mic on the ride cymbal in those days, so the sound you hear is from a distance.

In another thread, Lee Flier mentions her drummer and what he uses with a link to an MP3 of them playing. His sound is very close to that vintage 60's sound.

Good luck.

--

Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

Thanx Dwarf! That's what I wanted to know. 18 or 20 in. med. thin or thin...Cool! I'll also keep in mind the "lots of wash and little definition" part of the sound the next time I go shopping... I think that was the part that was messing me up before... I will also check out Lee's thread too...and see what they're up to...Thanx again!

<<

18" or 20", medium thin or thin cymbal. Lots of wash with very little definition.>>

After your description of the type(s) of music you're playing, I wonder if a vintage K is what you really want ..50/60s Ks do have acertain low /medium undertone ( depending on weight ), but the good ones usually have a definite stick impact sound that it unique to the brand ..and why they are so sought after by jazz players ..

If you're near a large city, try pawn shops as well as music stores .. also check out vintage drum shops ...

NEVER buy a cymbal you haven't played ..or better yet ..have a friend go with you so you can hear what it sounds like "away" from you ..

my .02 worth :)

• 2 weeks later...

Graypencil, great call! I found the ride I was looking for in a pawn shop! Since I've been scoring a lot of gear lately, I've been avoiding places like pawn shops...and places that have vinyl for sale...so it was cool that you mentioned it! Otherwise, I would have missed the boat on this one! Anyway, I found an older Zildjian Avedis...20"... I think that it's on the medium side...I like it a lot! I recorded a couple tracks last night with it and thought it blended great with the sounds of my other instruments, especially my acoustic guitar! Very nice blend of undertones with just the right amount of stick definition for my taste. I'm so glad my ride cymbal issue has been solved!

Thanx drummers! Flush

Archived