Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

dmpro/pcmcia card q's

CStern

I am trying to burn a PCMCIA card in the DM-PRO with

Samplecell samples (via Alesis' Soundbridge software)

but I have some basic questions...

I am trying to burn Bob Clearmountain drum samples

from a Samplecell CD.

On the CD there are the following folders:

PROSAMPLES 1 AUDITIONS

PROSAMPLES 1 BANKS

PROSAMPLES 1 LITE KITS

PROSAMPLES 1 SAMPLES

PROSAMPLES 1 INSTRUMENTS

1) Which do I use to send to the card?

2) Does this process support volocity-switched

samples?

Any insight into this process is appreciated!

-CS

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The SAMPLES are where the actual WAV files are going to be. The velocity attributes and such will only be carried over by copying the PROGRAM information for the given Performance Setting. A lot of this will depend on what you are using to play the sounds and how it is split out on a keyboard. You may have to create your own.

What you trying to do may be considered illegal and a breach of copyright law. I'm assuming that you own the CDs already and are just importing them into a different format.

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

>you might want to try a computer forum for that. IF you are a macuser, i'd suggest the forums on Macworld.com, and Macaddict.com

A computer forum for drum module questions?!

>The SAMPLES are where the actual WAV files are going to be. The velocity attributes and such will only be carried over by copying the PROGRAM information for the given Performance Setting. A lot of this will depend on what you are using to play the sounds and how it is split out on a keyboard. You may have to create your own.

How is this done? Has anyone done this specifically?

>What you trying to do may be considered illegal and a breach of copyright law. I'm assuming that you own the CDs already and are just importing them into a different format.

Yes, it's not illegal... please.

Yes, I've done it before, but not with the set-up you have.

It seems simple to me, so obviously I'm not really understanding what it is you are trying to do.

You said that you have the Bob Clearmountain stuff already in Sample Cell, and that you are just wanting to burn that to a PCMCIA card?

If that's the case, you need to take all of the Clearmountain stuff and burn it. This would include the samples as well as the program information. Typically it's the Programs that contain the MIDI note information to handle velocity changes.

The Bob Clearmountain CDs that I've worked with do NOT have velocity control Programs already set. I may be wrong, but you are going to have to create those on your own so that it works with the sampler you plan to use.

An example, my AKAI S6000 reads an assortment of program information from other companies, and handles WAV files (which is the actual sample). Unless there is a PROGRAM set-up for the samples, like if I used an AKAI specific version of Bob Clearmountain's samples, I would not be able to handle any velocity-switched samples.

The reason I was confused with this, and brought up the whole copyright thing, is that if you own the CDs you should know whether or not it currently handles velocity switched samples. If you have it with your current CD or software (Samplecell), then you should be set to just burn the card just as it appears on the CD ... assuming the DM-Pro can read it. I'm not trying to be difficult, I just don't understand what the hang-up is.

Typically, when playing samples in a different format, the Programs are not cross-platform. I can't take a sample CD designed for Kurzweil and expect the Programs to work in my AKAI ... unless, my AKAI is designed to work with other platforms. So the question, I guess, is will the DM-Pro handle the Programs off the Samplecell CD? Trying reading the manual on the DM-Pro or contact the manufacture.

Good Luck!

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Bart:

>You said that you have the Bob Clearmountain stuff already in Sample Cell, and that you are just wanting to burn that to a PCMCIA card?

Yes, the Alesis manual says that the card will take various sound file formats such as AIFF, WAV, etc. Also included on the list is Samplecell format samples. I knew that Sounds Online (I think) had the Bob Clearmountain 1 (Samplecell version) on closeout for $29.95. I thought "ah! perfect match... I can make a nice sounding kit from the samples and put it on a card and it will be immediately available (unlike my Akai samplers) in the DMPRO for quick drumkat triggering.

My problem seems to be with regard to velocity switching. How do I tell the DMPRO how to do this? Since there are many folders on the Samplecell CD with the sample samples grouped differently, I am puzzled as to which ones to send to the Alesis. Also, how do I tell the DMPRO how to assign MIDI notes to the samples?

>If that's the case, you need to take all of the Clearmountain stuff and burn it. This would include the samples as well as the program information. Typically it's the Programs that contain the MIDI note information to handle velocity changes.

How do I recognize these program files?

>The Bob Clearmountain CDs that I've worked with do NOT have velocity control Programs already set. I may be wrong, but you are going to have to create those on your own so that it works with the sampler you plan to use.

I have the Akai format of this same sample cd that I use on my s5000. Are you saying that when I use my drumkat/s5000 with the Bob Clearmountain samples that there is no velocity switching? That would make my life easier... I've been assuming that there was.

>An example, my AKAI S6000 reads an assortment of program information from other companies, and handles WAV files (which is the actual sample). Unless there is a PROGRAM set-up for the samples, like if I used an AKAI specific version of Bob Clearmountain's samples, I would not be able to handle any velocity-switched samples.

So the Akai version does have velocity switching?!?

>The reason I was confused with this, and brought up the whole copyright thing, is that if you own the CDs you should know whether or not it currently handles velocity switched samples. If you have it with your current CD or software (Samplecell), then you should be set to just burn the card just as it appears on the CD ... assuming the DM-Pro can read it.

I don't know those details. Obviously, I'm not too saavy with the drum sample world.

>I'm not trying to be difficult, I just don't understand what the hang-up is.

I know, I appreciate your help.

>So the question, I guess, is will the DM-Pro handle the Programs off the Samplecell CD? Trying reading the manual on the DM-Pro or contact the manufacture.

The answer is a definite yes.

-CS

Archived