Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I got a snare

Gaddabout

Now, back to the ongoing saga of "Reinventing Gaddabout," the wanna-be pro drummer.

First, a review. In Ch. 1, Gaddabout sold his kit with the idea of starting over from scratch. In Ch. 2, Gaddabout visited a local player, who promptly advised him to ditch the grab-and-snap traditional grip in favor of a looser, more sound technique. In Ch. 3, Gaddabout bought a used maple DW kit from said player. And now ...

Ch. 4, Gaddabout buys a snare.

I want to thank you all again for your advice. It was very helpful, and I looked into all suggested snares, and some that weren't suggested. I went with a 5.5x14 8-ply maple Pacific with wood hoops and chrome-plated tube lugs. I'll be ordering die-cast hoops in a couple weeks, so it'll be a little like having two drums for the price of one. That's important, because I don't have the moola for more than one snare right now.

Ironically, I looked at a similar DW model, but I felt the reinforcement rings took away from the maple sound. It sounded more like birch, which would be fine, but I wanted something a bit more versatile for my primary snare. The DW seemed like it might not be cool for rock or country gigs.

Considering how much I had to spend, I'm very happy with my purchase. I walked out with the snare, hard case and stand under $250. I thought I did well.

Next up: Cymbals!

p.s. Said local player already has a gig lined up for me on New Year's Eve. I know, I know, everyone plays on New Year's Eve, but I just thought it'd be a great business model: one guaranteed paying gig with every drum purchase!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats Gadster! Sounds like you have a nice kit there. Good luck with the cymbals - lots to choose from nowadays.

--

Rob

p.s. - my new years gig is a sound gig. I'd rather be playing drums but the money is good :)

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

Congrats Gaddster....

I don't have a new year's gig either. Seems around these parts, musicians are getting hip to the idea that the extra money for NYE gigs isn't worth it and they'd rathar be spending it with friends and loved ones. Another thing... it's probably a money issue with clubs, hotels, etc. but all the gigs this year are with B-level bands. I get the feeling it's because the pay ain't so great this time around. We've decided to opt out.

Just for the record.

Archived