Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

music good for noodle

felix stein

I have this book on the brain. Maybe some of you know this already but children that take 8 months of music lessons do way better in all subjects at school. Adults that continue to practice music or languages have better spacial, reasoning, and cognitive as well as creative skills not to mention math. The forming of more connections between nuerons and dendrites also combat against "old timers" disease. Plus it is harder to learn new stuff when one gets older- it's scientific fact. So you young guys (myself included) keep shedding!

You chaps with kids-start them on the drums young. That is when the brain is forming and can really make those connections fast.

Plus the better shape one is in, the more efficiently the noodle can process glucose...whatever the hell that means.

THe book is called "The User's Guide to the Human Brain" it's dry reading but interesting now and then.

Cigarettes are by far the best thing for drumming though...they have plenty of vitamin C in them and make one play great. Just ask Neil Peart, Steve Gadd, Buddy Rich (oh, he's pushing daisies) and well, Vinnie? No, I think he quit. Did Bun E. Carlos ever quit? He's still alive and rocking right?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by felix stein:

Plus it is harder to learn new stuff when one gets older- it's scientific fact. So you young guys (myself included) keep shedding!

This was never made more abundantly clear to me than recently, when I went in for a drumming "checkup" with a friend of mine. I explained how crappy I felt playing drums, how I don't feel comfortable, and he pointed out my bad technique. I have to re-learn a grip! Argh! My fulcrum was at the mid-finger. There was no space between forefinger and thumb. I know I've been toying, but I didn't realize how years of messing around had messed me up.

So now I'm going back to basics and I'm finding it dang near impossible to do this right. If I had any hair, I'd pull it out. I have no control of the sticks, and I feel wimpy trying to attack the drums. I've ditched my traditional grip for now, so I can match my grips and get both working with some conformity, but ... oy, what a headache! :eek:

You can toy with it but I wouldn't freak. Believe it or not it takes me several years to really incorporate a new technique into a live situation naturally. And there are some things that I did in highschool that still sound great to me, bad technique and all, I still play those fiqures.

If you can make it work, don't sweat the technique. I had a guy at music school who couldn't believe how good my rudiments were for my technique being so bad...I mean everything was second joint. I like the second joint...or between the 1st and 2nd...I'm there all the time. If I'm playing true 1st joint...it is just so wimpy and light...it's not my style.

You know what's really fun? Play 3rd joint caveman style...that is a blast man. It looks cool as hell too.

Learn how to do it right to some degree then throw it out or use it when called for...I don't sweat technique too much- not any more- I could care less.

I'm with Felix here. Technique is a tool to help you play what you want to, instead of limiting you. I am a schooled drummer, and I know that technically, my grip just ain't right. I know and understand the "proper" way, but I use and "incorrect" fulcrum. I prefer to use both the second and the third fingers as the fulcrum, relying more on the third finger. It is simply easier for me to keep the stick at the end joint of the third finger than it is on the second finger.

This probably sounds weird, but it works just fine for me.

The point is, learn what works best for you. The popular techniques are one way of doing things. They are a great way, but not the only way.

Originally posted by felix stein:

Learn how to do it right to some degree then throw it out or use it when called for...I don't sweat technique too much- not any more- I could care less.

This is all about me wanting to feel good again. I was gripping the stick too hard. It's no wonder I didn't feel good playing -- I was cutting the circulation off in my hands. I know it's for the better that I do this, I was just whining about it. hehe

I just realized that I didn't respond to Felix's original post.

It's amazing how music can do for people, of any age. I think drumming has helped to make me less stressful. I know that advanced instumental music(primarily jazz and classical) has been proven time and time again to help 'exercise' the brain.

We should all try this:

Get rid of your tv, or limit the amount of time you watch it, and put it in a non-central room. (i've been trying to get my girlfriend to do this for months!) Put the stereo in the main room, try to keep music on at all times. I think this will help you absorb more styles, help your noodle, and learn to 'listen' deeper into the music.

BTW, what's the name of the book?

Two things....

First of all, Gaddabout, once again we're on the same page. I began taking lessons a year ago and realized my grip was all wrong (same bad grip as you). I worked for 4 months with a teacher exclusively on grip. It really helped open up my playing. But I quit the lessons after 4 months and now I find myself slipping back into my old habits. the lesson: keep practicing, keep practicing, keep practicing. I need to take my own advice.

Second (and back to felix's original post).... I recently wrote a story on this company called Neurosmith who makes a children's toy called Music Blocks. It allows kids to arrange music fragments with fun little colored blocks. the people in the company are way cool, and dedicated to the idea of improving children's brains through early exposure to music. sorry for the pitch, but it's really a great thing. check it out: www.neurosmith.com

Just for the record.

Cutting off the circulation? Man, that is a toughy. I'm not a teacher- Bartman is probably the guy to talk to on this one.

I would say maybe play as much as possible and work on the new grip. What I sometimes did was hold the stick so gingerly during jazz and funky stuff that it would fall out of my hand and then I would crank it up a notch from there.

I have not dropped a stick while playing in I'd say close to 6 months which I find very surprising. And I have only clicked the rims, man, maybe a dozen times.

I started doing this thing just last weekend...I noticed that on some of my more complicated fills I was screwing up my face (I noticed it before anyone else did thank God)...like I was taking a big dump or something. I caught myself doing it and played the same fill the next time in a conscience relaxed matter- well it was an interesting exercise in control.

Oh, by the way Gaddaboutit...you are going to be totally mad at me. A guy told me this weekend after one of our more jazzier sets that I reminded him a lot like Gad (I took it as an insult initially)...funny; I said he was one of my earlier influences LMAO...so the guy stayed another set...he then comes up to me and said that I was totally great (cue for head expansion-big ego activated, form of felix stein)....I of course say "shucks, twarn't nuthin'" or something to that effect. I actually felt stiff on a few fills. Project confidence...that is my "new" thing- no negative energy...none none none, begone, it does not exist anymore. Negative thought will sap a drummer dry...YOU ARE THE BEST AND CAN ONLY GET BETTER!!!!!!

Felix that's the way I play jazz, too. I kinda grew up on Jazz and R&B work.

To play Jazz you work with the sticks and allow them to do most of the work for you once you figure out how the sticks feel in the hand, and what sticks to use thru trial and error. Don't use clubs that you would normally use for rock, choose lighter weight sticks, maybe a harder wood small dia. that fits comfortably in the hands, or a softer larger dia. stick would do the trick if you are used to a larger type stick.

Buddy Rich sticks are cool for an all purpose type. Gadd, if your hands are getting tired, your fighting with the stick to get control over the sound. You may only need to change sticks.

PS, I'm an old dog and have already had to learn a few new tricks. :D Some of you young guys need to heed to the wise. It's not always as it seems. ;) Drink OJ!

Just a thought.......and close the synaps(sp?)with Jazz.....

Jazzman :cool:

The buddy sticks feel so strange to me...they have that really odd feeling neck and shoulder combo...I hate them.

I personally prefer a weckle type stick and more recently I've gone back to a fat hickory for jazz. I like the beef on tap for jazz.

So I like a light fat stick as opposed to a slim heavy ones. I feel I have a lot more control going that route.

Wider is better. LOL who knows. The more I play the more I realize that unless the sticks are baseball bats or toothpicks, it really doesn't matter much.

Felix, I agree with you. You've matched up your style with the sticks that you are used too. When bowling down an alley you only need to move over to hit the mark, you don't need to change your style of throwing, just the location to be consistant, or change the weight of the ball. So goes to sticks. You can play the same but the effect can be different if lighter or heavier sticks are used.

I also use Gadd, Weckle, Buddy Rich, Hot Rods etc......... and guess what I just bought....... a pair of Vater-Recording sticks an hour ago. These sticks are real light and have a large dia........good response on the skins.

And of course I couldn't pass up a Paiste, Paint, Inovations 10" splash......oh-boy-oh boy!!!

Sorry about the slobering.......I'll clean up later.

Jazzman :cool:

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: Jazzman ]

Originally posted by Jazzman:

I also use Gadd, Weckle, Buddy Rich, Hot Rods etc......... and guess what I just bought....... a pair of Vater-Recording sticks an hour ago. These sticks are real light and have a large dia........good response on the skins.

My new feeling on sticks is a drummer should pick one and stick with it, no matter what style. The technique shouldn't change from style to style, although the grip should be allowed to flex depending on what's being played.

I've always used the Weckls (the classic version), but I recently picked up some Marco Minneman sig. Pro Marks (would those be the Millenium II's?) and really liked them. They're long, not too fat, but they have a good weight and balance to them. I can use them with either matched or traditional. I also like the beefy bead on them.

Archived