Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Does your band use a contract?

RonnieK

My band has recently started doing more gigs lately and we're wondering if we should implement a policy of having a signed contract. One of the reasons for this is that we're traveling more and in many cases don't know the club/client we're performing for, and we don't want to get there and find out they didn't understand something (Start time, end time, money,etc). If you do have a contract, will you share some things to include in a contract with me?

Thanks.

Ronnie (The Jam Band)

:confused:

Ronnie Keith (The Jam Band)

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you DEFINITELY should do that. Implementing a contract is just makes good business sense. Actually, I would think being a union member would help here. They probably have some generic contracts and samples of more detailed ones.

I see this as having about 3 choices.

1) continue like you are, w/no contracts. This could lead to a hard lesson learned at some point. You'll probably be fine for a long while, but the first time you all get royally screwed, it's gonna truly suck.

2) contact the union for info on the contracts. You'll probably be asked to join(not a bad thing). You'll have some annual dues, etc. This could be very beneficial to you all.

3) Hire a lawyer to write up a generic contract with blanks for dates, times, $$$, conditions, etc. This will have a larger initial fee, but may also be the wisest choice. Plus, it would be smart to know a lawyer for any other business legalaties, etc. in the future.

I think you would be wise to choose option 2 or 3. #1 is a giant risk that could bite you in the Ace at a vulnerable time. Not only could you lose money, you could end up owing money. Be smart, and realise that running a band, or being an individual musician is basically running your own business(self employed).

BTW, this would also be a good time to learn how to make tax laws work for you as well.

If you're talking about simple club gigs in your home town, I don't see that it's necessary and may even put some off some owners/bookers. People who book clubs don't want paperwork, they want relationships. Club gigging is still done with a phone call and a handshake.

If you're concerned about it, the only situation where I would consider a contract (and I think this falls into your situation) is if the gigs fall into BOTH these criterea: the gig's more than 100 miles from your home town AND you do not know the person booking. If both the above are true, the booker shouldn't have any reason to be offended by a contract.

Remember to be cool! Don't get all legal with them; there needs to be an element of trust. Personal relationships and trust will go much further in your advancement as a band than any document you ask them to sign. In other words, if you get burned by one club, hey, it happens. But it should be rare. Trusting the people you work with will go much further in building relationships.

Just for the record.

I agree with side, but at the same time you have to be able to protect yourself. I would say that if you are playing unfamiliar clubs for more than chump change, a contract would be smart. If it is the same club you've played for years, don't patronize them with a contract, they know and like you already. A trust has been established. But, don't go on tour without contracts. This could easily screw you over. But, if the contract is there and there is a dispute over $$, etc, you can call them on it.

My thanks to all of you for your assistance in this matter. I am now looking for some kind if generic contract that we can modify and use. I'm certainly looking for something simple and to the point.

Your input has been very helpful and again I really appreciate your help.

Thanks

Ronnie Keith (The Jam Band)

Archived