Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Evans heads

ScooterMathias

Just a quick question for all you veterans. I am a fairly inexperienced drummer just learning about set-up. I am currently using Evans G-2 batter heads, and Evans G-1 resonate heads... How does using the same heads on both the batter and resonate affect the quality and sound of the drums? This might be a silly question for most of you, but your input would be most appreciated. I want to learn as much as possible. Thank You very much and Happy Holidays.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, a single ply like a G1 on top with a G1 on the bottom would be fine. It would produce a nice open tone. If they were both coated, it would have a little less sustain, and fewer overtones. With a coated batter and a clear res., you'll gain some sustain back, but still have fewer overtones.

I personally use coated G2s on the tops of my toms, and a clear G1s on the res. The G2 will give fewer overtones and slightly less sustain than a G1, but will also help with durability. For my puposes, this has proven to be optimal.

Best suggestion, just experiment with different heads and tunings until you find the sound that best suits your drums, and your ear. Good luck, and stay with evans.

Scooter -

Don't worry about sounding ignorant. I played drums for 10 years without any feedback regarding heads and tunings (this was back in the late 60's and early 70's). Be grateful that we now have forums such as this one to share ideas, information, opinions, etc.

In answer to your question, the greatest resonance should be achieved with the same heads, top and bottom.

However, you wouldn't want a 2-ply resonant head (sounds awful!).

The G2/G1 combination you're using is a good one.

I got great sounds from this set-up with my Premier kit of a few years back. The G2 is a bit more lively than Remo's Pinstripe head, which is too muffled for my taste - although where the Pinstripe shines is "taming" less expensive drums by reducing much of the higher-pitched overring produced by the cheaper woods and thicker shells of these drums.

Try tuning the top and bottom heads to the same pitch - it will sound different due to the 1-ply, 2-ply relationship, but try to get the two heads as close as possible in tuning.

This should give you the most resonance.

Then, try tightening the resonant head just a bit - this will likely increase the projection and give the toms a "punchy" sound.

Having the resonant head a bit looser than the batter (top) head will tend to cut some of the resonance and lower the tone of the drum.

These are, of course, general guidelines.

What works with my drums, and my tastes, may sound horrible to you.

The good news is that you have invested in some of the best heads on the market - experiment and learn all you can about that G2/G1 combination before buying new heads!

Hope this helps!

Archived