Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

More snare drum advice

Gaddabout

I'm looking for a primary snare drum for my new kit. I kind of want a 4x14 birch to start with, but I'm leaning towards that Omar Hakim 5x13 we talk so much about. Played one before and really liked it. Would make more sense for the two rock gigs I'm looking at right now. I probably should buy both, but I don't want to buy a bunch of snares until I have more gigs to justify them, so I'm thinking a 4x14 birch would be a nice mid-range piccolo and would give me immediate versatility until I start booking heavy again. Any suggestions?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For your primary snare, I'd probably go with the 5x13 Omar Hakim Mahogany snare. I think the extra depth of the drum will serve you better than a 4x14 birch drum ... especially if you are making it your primary snare drum.

I don't know what other snares you currently own, so I can't really drive the point home anymore than the above statement.

I said it in an earlier thread that I believe that a 5 or 5.5 inch depth snare drum makes a better "general" or "primary" snare drum for most people. It comes down to what style of music you play, and what kind of sound you want. You can always get more out of a drum in the upper register, but you can't make a piccolo sound very deep; but the opposite is true for a standard depth snare.

Let us know what you decide!

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Originally posted by felix stein:

I'd listen to the Craviotto snares from dw...that way it will "match" your kit. I wouldn't go shallower than a 5.5. Those things sound fantastic.

Well they should sound good for what you'll have to pay for one! We are talking twice as much money here.

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

NO kidding Bart! For that price, I'd go with a Noble & Cooley 5.5X14 Alloy Classic (actually you can get this for around $550). What an incredible drum!!!!

Gadd,

Since you're such a GaddHEad, why not check out the Gadd Maple model snares. They would work in a variety of situations, and would be a good primary drum, especially the 5.5" model.

I agree with Bart about the sizes. Although I would open it up to 5-6" would work. I actually get quite a bit of use from my 6.5"X14 snare as well. I hardly touch my picc. It doesn't offer the body that the other sizes offer. I think 4" is too shallow for "primary" uses. I also don't care too much for the 13" diameter, but this is because it 'feels' weird to me. It sounds nice, but I'm more comfortable on a 14". PLUS, i do think rimshots(the huge loud ones, and especially the more rim-click style ones) sound better on the 14".

Originally posted by Bartman:

I don't know what other snares you currently own, so I can't really drive the point home anymore than the above statement.

I've got an old 5.5x14 Slingerland steel and Pearl 3.5x13 brass. I'm going to use both as trade-in bait. Not crazy about either, especially the brass picc. Don't remember why I bought them, to be honest.

Originally posted by rlhubley:

Gadd,

Since you're such a GaddHEad, why not check out the Gadd Maple model snares. They would work in a variety of situations, and would be a good primary drum, especially the 5.5" model.

I don't think I've ever seen a Gadd sig maple. I'll look, though. I've seen the Gadd "Black Beauty," which is the heaviest looking snare drum I've ever seen. I've taken to calling it the Death Star, the way all the same-color components fit together.

I tried out the Gadd maple when I was shopping around about a year ago. A very nice drum as I recall. It was a close second to the Artstar I finally bought. (there was also the N&C in the running, which was too much $$. but in retrospect, I should have gone for it.)

The final determining factor between the Gadd and the Artstar was that the Artstar didn't have a drum god's name attached to it, which is the type of hero worship mentality that I have problems with when buying gear. But I've gotta get over that hangup, especially with all the great things you cats are saying about the Omar Hakim.

Just for the record.

yea, Gadd's snare comes in two sizes 5"X14", and 5"X13", and in two wood choices Birch and Maple. I really thought they had a brass model as well, but I might be wrong here.

Anyway, I still say check out the bamboo model. You will be impressed with it's warmth and beauty. It can still be had for less than $400. Seek one out and try it. You won't be dissapointed. It is so versatile, it has definitely become my primary snare, and I own 5 snares!

Oh LOL here we go again- the guys with the recording customs and the dw's are always the first to cry "poor mouth"....

Play all those other ones, but then check out a dw C. Oh if I could only justify 600 for a snare I'd get "the blonde" they have in the drumshop. But then I'd have to get a kit to go with it. :D

Don't Omar Hakims have gold hardware? I hate gold hardware.

Lol, I almost bought a Mapex kit but I have a thing about buying too many imports. Japan and Germany I can tolerate a little but Taiwan and China? Too cheesy.

I'm getting more sensitive to this as the economy continues to plunge...I'd like to think in the macro economic scenario that if I bought a dw kit or ludwig that maybe that worker in the factory would have a little extra money to buy a beer and see me play...get my drift?

Mapex suck. Sorry. Even if they sound good they suck. I can't take them seriously.

Archived