Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Odd tom order

Gaddabout

Was running through the latest MD to see if I'd missed anything, and found and interesting piece in Q&A on p. 18. Talks about how Virgil Donati, Kenny Aronoff, Billy Cobham, Jimmy Chamberlin and Marco Minnemann have taken to reversing the order of their toms. They do this for no other purpose than variety.

I hear about stuff like this and think it would be a cool way to practice, just like reversing the drum kit to play left-handed. But I'd never do it in a professional situation, no more than a right-handed guitarist should play a left-handed guitar. I know it's important to stay fresh, but descending tom fills are an essential sound to so many styles of music, I wouldn't fill right in challenging them. Maybe on my own album, if that day ever comes, but not if someone's paying me to play their music.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another reason for the "displacement" of mounted toms (i.e., placing the 10" to the right, and the 12" or 13" to the left side of a right-handed kit) is to provide best access to the tom most often used.

Aronoff added the 10" later in his playing career, and said he "hid" it on the right side so that Melencamp would be less likely to notice it an make a comment.

These drummers are less likely to go round the kit in the traditional "12-13-16" route, and as such, aren't effected by the "displacment" of that smaller tom.

Another advantage to having the smaller drum on the right side of the kit is that it provides a bit easier access to the ride cymbal. The smaller drum takes up 2" to 3" less space than would that larger tom, and allows the ride to be lower and closer than otherwise possible.

I personally prefer taking the smaller tom off the BD and clamping it to my crash cymbal stand, to the left side of the kit; then moving my larger mounted tom to the left position.

This frees up the right half of the BD "airspace" to allow the best access to ride cymbal and I mount a cowbell on the right-hand tom rod.

This works best for me, in that it reduces stress on my right arm and shoulder, allows me better access to the ride cymbal (especially the bell), and provides better balance on the throne (back problems avoided or delayed!).

Best advice - move things around on your kit during practice or rehearsal and see if something different might be better than the "standard" set-up shown in ads and in the catalog.

Remember, these photos are designed to show off the drums to best advantage - they're not necessarily the best set-up for you!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Felix, I can't see any advantage unless your left-handed............??? When your body is in motion, finding a drum would be more cumbersome, don't you think? Probably good for practice to make the other side of your brain think different. Maybe good for mussel tone too. :rolleyes:

Jazzman :cool:

Originally posted by felix stein:

I think that's stuff is for show...I would just displace the voices thru technique.

I disagree. It causes you to think different, and thats good. You need to shake things up from time to time. Habbits are habbits and no matter how you try to think of new things, you'll find they still sound different if you change the setup.

Feelin' a little testy today Felix? :)

I think it has more to do with creating texture and altering both your normal mode of playing and the sound that you get executing the things you normally do. I don't see anything wrong with this. You'll probably find yourself making some new patterns when is comes to fills, and provide an interesting self-analysis about the way you approach fills.

Might also help you get outa that funk Felix. ;)

Just for the record.

Archived