Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any better mags than MD

frozen_dup1

I just got the December issue of Modern Drummer. It's just full of ads. I'm looking for more lessons like guitar player magazine gives. I like looking at the ads and reading about what other guys are using but I would like more lessons and techniques. What other drum magazines do you guys recommend??

Brad

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by frozen:

I just got the December issue of Modern Drummer. It's just full of ads. I'm looking for more lessons like guitar player magazine gives. I like looking at the ads and reading about what other guys are using but I would like more lessons and techniques. What other drum magazines do you guys recommend??

Brad

I don't know of anything like you're looking for, although I wish something like that existed. If you want advertisers for your magazine, you have to have lots of product reviews and features with drummers who sponsor your advertisers' players.

I suggested awhile back that there's probably a market for a small magazine like the one you're looking for. Just something like one big feature (straight feature, not Q&A like MD), and three lessons. We're talking 20 pages a month, and it doesn't even have to be on glossy paper. Could probably be done by a three-person staff on a single Mac as a part-time job (although sales and marekting would certainly be full-time). The only problem is the profit margin is slim, so it's not appealing to a lot of people. Definately would not be the great capitalist venture. It's hard to start up any kind of magazine, even if you already have advertisers and wide distribution lined up.

Archived