Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stage monitors for drummers who sing

sidereal

Hi folks...

I'm in need of a stage monitor. I sing harmonies while playing, so clarity is important. I looked into the in-ear ones, but they're outlandishly expensive. So it looks like a floor monitor is the way to go.

Any advice on brands, what wattage I'd need for club gigs, cone size, etc? I took a look at one of those Galaxy things that sit on a mic stand for close-up placement and it looked like a good option.

Price is the main thing. It doesn't need to be powered, since I'll be running it off a dedicated monitor amp already in the PA rig.

Just for the record.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sidereal,

I would stick with a simple wedge monitor. If your amp is powerful enough, that should do the trick. I'll have to get you the exact specs for the one that our drummer uses, which works really well, but I don't have it handy to look at.

Stan Lynch went back to using a simple wedge after going through a period where he used full-size (read: huge) monitors on stage. He loved being able to hear everything through the big monitors, but it was counterproductive because the signal from the monitor was bleeding into his drum and vocal mics and messing with the sound.

I'll ask our drummer tomorrow for more info on his monitor.

--Lee

sidereal,

While a full blown wireless IEM system does cost a lot, a hardwired system with just the earpieces (Shure E1s are about $135) and a cheap Rolls headphone amp won't set you back that much. Of course this will only work if all the other instruments are mic'd/DI'd to a board that can give you a monitor mix.

There are many advantages to this type of system, but it may take some getting used to. It works well for our band, but , as the Great Gear Philosopher says, Your Mileage May Vary...

Best o' Luck

geo

Thanks guys....

Hmmmm, maybe the in-ear option is still possible. I've been looking into the E1 and E5 earpieces. I'd need some sort of limiting built into the system though.

Where I'm at now is I'm trying to get the band to pay for this since it falls into PA gear, which the whole band pays for equally. So I may have to go with the cheapest option. Felix.... I may take you up on your offer, but I won't know until I hear back from the band. Don't wait on me... but I may get back to you later and see if they're still available.

Just for the record.

Archived