Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Reverb on the Snare and the kit?

Woodgrain

When mixing drums I gennerally subgroup them and add reverb to the sub. But for some styles of music its obvious that there is a big reverb with a short decay on the snare. I am concerned about subgrouping the drums adding reverb and then adding a second reverb on the snare to make it big before the sub, then having the snare sounding like it sits behind the kit in the audio image. I am using VST32. Any ideas as to how others are adding reverb to the drums?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By "sub" do you mean bouncing down a multitrack drum performance to stereo and then reverbing the resulting bounce? or just throwing an insert on a multitrack "drums" stereo auxiliary channel?

I've never used Cubase, but with Pro Tools, I create a "reverb" aux channel, and buss each drum channel separately to the reverb. Keep the verb aux fader at unity, and keep the plug-in or outboard hardware patch at 100 percent. This allows me to have a separate verb fader for each instrument allowing varying control of reverb for each instrument. The reason is I never, *ever* want reverb on the kick drum. Where I do want it is on, like, the overheads, or the toms, or the snare, depending on the song. So my faders will look something like this....

Kick - no reverb send at all

Snare -14db

Toms -10db

OHs -7.4 db

...something like that. The only other alternative that I can think of is putting a verb insert on each drum channel. But that totally eats up DSP and it also doesn't give you the control you want. With the above example, you can keep the plug-in or outboard setting at 100 percent (something you want to do in digital land anyway) and just control the amount of send to the effect. Muuuch better for mixing. Sends are your friend. :)

If you're talking about a two-track drum channel from a multitrack recorded performance, it's nearly impossible to reverb separate instruments.

Hope this helps.

Just for the record.

Maybe you can mix it really wet then gate it...I don't know what sound you are looking for.

I don't like much reverb at all. Just till I notice it-then I usually back it off after that. I hate too much reverb on a recording...it sounds unprofessional. I prefer getting a little more depth from the overheads.

you will figure it out

Archived