Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help me write a Christmas drum article

Gaddabout

I'm writing a gift-buying guide for those interested in making the drummers in their family have an extra-special Christmas. I read what I had on the page and realized I may or may not have my facts straight. I could also use other suggestions, especially if they're better than the ones I have. Feel free to read the following and make comments -- critical or otherwise.

Buying drums and accessories has never been so complicated. What's the difference between the $500 kit and the $3,000 kit? Most likely it's the choice of wood and craftmanship of the shell (which can make a dramatic difference in sound), but there are many other factors to consider. It's always good to do some research and consult knowledgable drummers before plunking down good money.

Perhaps the most difficult thing to understand is that drums come in pieces, primarily in this grouping: kits, cymbals and stands. Buying a kit doesn't neccesarily mean you get cymbals and stands, so beware if you're out on the hunt this season, and always make it clear what it is you're paying for.

That said, here are some great ideas to please your favorite drummer this Christmas:

BIG TICKET ITEMS

DW Collectors' Series acoustic drums (prices vary): DW's custom attitude and attention to detail make them the top name in the industry for high-end drum kits. Depending on size and wood, a DW custom kit can range anywhere from $2,000 up to $6,000 and beyond. But it would be hard to top a Christmas morning with one of these under the tree for any serious drummer.

Yamaha Maple Custom ($2000 and up): Before DW, Yamaha was the name in drum manufacturers, and they remain a choice for many professionals. Their maple shells are as warm as it gets, although some prefer birch. They are still perhaps the best professional kit for the money spent.

Roland V-Club set ($999): This is a nice alternative for those with thin walls and sensitive ears. Although not top-of-the-line (those can go as high as $6,000), the brain and triggers are plenty responsive to the average drummer. Throw in some headphones, and that cacophony of noise disappears without stealing the enjoyment of playing the drums.

Zildjian K cymbals (prices vary): Although you will find some Sabian enthusiasts who will disagree, Zildjian remains the top cymbal maker in the world. Their K lines have been around for ages, and come in a wide variety of sounds and effects. They are expensive, too. A 20-inch Zildjian K ride will go for about $250, for example. The effects cymbals, like K splashes, are nice additions for a drummer who already has a lot of gear.

Sabian HHX cymbals (prices vary): Sabian's top-of-the-line cymbals are comparable to Zildjian's K line, although the ear will detect some differences. It's really a matter of taste, but they are no less in quality. Prices are similar to Zildjian's K line as well.

BEGINNER'S CHOICE

Yamaha YD 5-piece: bass drum, 3 toms (12, 13, 16) and snare. $599 with hardware (cymbal stand, hi-hat stand, bass pedal). Quality maker with an excellent entry-level kit.

Pacific C-series entry-level kit: $499. DW-selected shells make this a good little kit for beginners. It's not maple or birch, but the craftmanship is still there, and the hardware is respectable for a kit in this price range.

Yamaha Hip Gig ($699): The coolest drum kit invention in awhile. Designed for gigging drummers in tight spaces, it might also make a good beginner kit for your pre-teen. Everything is designed to pack inside the drummer's throne for easy storage. Realize the seat is not adjustable, and if your child aspires to be the next great metal drummer, this isn't the kit for them.

Zildjian ZBT cymbal pack ($150): Good cymbals are expensive, but Zildjian offers a nice deal on a low-end package so you can sound relatively good while you work up your chops. It comes with hi-hats, ride and a crash cymbal.

KNICK KNACKS

Double pedals (prices vary): Not quite stocking stuffers, double pedals (two pedals for a single bass drum) have become extremely popular these days. You can find one anywhere between $70 and $250, depending on make and model.

Percussion toys (prices vary): If you're looking for a smaller gift for a drummer without breaking your bank, look to percussion toys for ideas. Mounted cowbells, shakers and other assorted goodies make for nice little gifts. An LP cowbell with bass mount might go for about $45.

STOCKING STUFFERS

Sticks

Instructional videos

Shakers

Gift certificates to music store (even a $10 gift certificate is good for something)

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Bartman:

Where are you going to publish your article? I think you've done a great job.

If you don't have a place, I'd love to put it up on the Drum Ring International web site, and possible share with our 180+ subscribers.

Let me know ......

It's for a larger gift-buying guide for the newspaper website I work at: rep.azcentral.com. I own the rights to it, so feel free to publish wherever you like, however you like. Thanks for the comments!

Originally posted by sidereal:

Gaddabout... you and I are part of a rare club: we make our living as drummers and writers. Very nice job taking a broad topic and condensing it into a brief article. Kudos!

You'll be interested in my next assignment. I write a sports humor column, and I'm currently attempting to land an interview with Arizona D-Backs pitching ace Randy Johnson ... to talk about drums! I want to sit down with him in his drum room, and maybe even play a drum duet with him.http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif If we do it we'll certainly record it on video. I'll post a link here if I get the interview.

Originally posted by sidereal:

Cool! I just finished one yesterday with Tim "herb" Alexander... and Stewart Copeland last month. that was a fun one. :)

Hey, shoot me an e-mail at mself14430@earthlink.net when you get a chance. I've got a question or two for you.

Archived