Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

the digital age

felix stein

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard that there were problems with the dsl system from other folks that I talked to out here in MI. It seems to be working for you though.

What is the cost difference, looks like $3,000.00(for what) plus a monthly fee of what? I guess I'm not sure what all is involved here. What is required? I thought dsl is like a light pipe system. Different cabling would need to be installed first, right? Dsl is supposed to take the place of the telephone lines. I heard that it really allows data to move like lightning, like your experiencing. Really a big difference uh?

COOL Felix.........

Jazzman :cool:

no dsl is through the unused portion of the phone line (I think your thinking of fiber optic) its about the same speed as cable modem depending on your location in respect to the phone exchange. I dunno what he was talking about with the 3000 bucks

Dave

Check this out...

I've got my Apple G3 running Pro Tools TDM where I mix for one of my bands. I'm mixing and arranging songs then bouncing the individual tunes to AIFF files so the band can check out the latest mixes. I've got the G3 networked via AppleTalk to my iBook laptop, which has a CD-R. So I transfer the AIFF files from the G3 to the laptop, load them in iTunes, and burn them to CD to hand out to band members.

For my other band (cover band), I've also got DSL which allows me to quickly load MP3s from the web of cover tunes (currently loading the Bee Gees' "You Should Be Dancin'"). I then take those and upload them to the bass player's FTP site where all band members can download the songs to their hard drives and learn the songs before practice.

It's a weird, wonderful world. :)

Just for the record.

I'd delete this double post, but I can't figure out how to do it. I'm only able to edit it. Maybe I'm not as technically savvy as I thought. :)

-------

Check this out...

I've got my Apple G3 running Pro Tools TDM where I mix for one of my bands. I'm mixing and arranging songs then bouncing the individual tunes to AIFF files so the band can check out the latest mixes. I've got the G3 networked via AppleTalk to my iBook laptop, which has a CD-R. So I transfer the AIFF files from the G3 to the laptop, load them in iTunes, and burn them to CD to hand out to band members.

For my other band (cover band), I've also got DSL which allows me to quickly load MP3s from the web of cover tunes (currently loading the Bee Gees' "You Should Be Dancin'"). I then take those and upload them to the bass player's FTP site where all band members can download the songs to their hard drives and learn the songs before practice.

It's a weird, wonderful world. :)

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: sidereal ]

Just for the record.

I have DSL or Digital Subsriber Line at my house. You neighborhood has to have Fiber Optics in order to get DSL. That's why many homes can't get DSL, if the phone company hasn't updated the main lines.

My DSL (actually ADSL, Asymetric Digial Subscriber Line) is great and lightening fast ... I love it!

From my research, for what it's worth, I found that DSL was saver than Cable. With cable, the entire neighborhood shares the same hub, which is NOT the case with DSL. That's the big difference I've seen. I suppose either one would work and both are fast. Just get a firewall set-up if you use cable. I'm on a LAN and have my entire house networked. That, plus the Firewall gives me all the security and protection I need. Well, that ... Jesus ... my dog ... and my Glock! :D LOL

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Archived