Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bi Polar Opposites

felix stein

Went to the local watering hole (pun intended) and saw a horrible band last night...I'm sorry but I had to leave after 3 beers (and I drank them fast) Why? Well a lesson to you all or at least a refresher course...LAY BACK LIVE

AND DON'T OVERPLAY. Man, there was no space in any of that music. I mean this guy was doing double bass stuff in CCR. IT WAS KILLING ME. Everything was way too fast...it was a bummer - he had taken the bottom heads off his drums AND he had ROTO TOMS to add injury to insult. He was old enough to know better. I remember when I played classic rock, for me it was all about groove and space when I was at my "pinnacle".

But I went home and caught the "string cheese incident" on austin city limits. Great southpaw drummer...did like a tabla hand percussion jam actually on the body of the acoustic guitar when the guitar player was doing a ditty. Very entertaining...He knew when to lay back and when to take the spotlight.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

haha

I went to a punk show once where all the drummers were just playing way to fast... it was terrible... usualy punk is fast, and the drummer play fast. But this time it was like the drummers were trying to play as fast as they could, and it wasnt fitting the song at all, and they couldnt keep that fast for the whole song, and when they slowed down a bit too much, they'll just throw a fill, and go back to playing as fast as they could...

And it wasnt just some local crap band, it was a small punk tour that went to many cities...

Originally posted by sidereal:

Don't trust any drummer with roto toms. :)

haha, side. Good rule of thumb. A correlary is to pay attention to the drummer with the side-mounted snare. Don't think I've ever seen a bad drummer with one of those.http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Archived