Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

delete

-

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No it shouldn't be too late. Normal procedure is to stretch the crap out of new heads and leave it like that for a bit so they get seated on the bearing edge, before tuning them to the pitch you want. Also lots of drummers, especially in studio situations, tune their drums differently for different songs. The heads can take it easily. Just go ahead and tune it however you want or have someone help you do it if you can't get the tone you like.

--Lee

"Can I tune my snare down?"

Yes

"Should I make the attempt?"

Most definitly, you will need to lean how to tune a drum, and this will only be acheived through years of frustration!

"Is it too late?"

No such thing, as long as the drum is decent condition. And remember, heads are meant to be replaced.

Originally posted by popmusic:

Dumb question, but... I really dig the snare drum I have (Anton Fig signature snare), but I'm wondering if perhaps I can tune it a little bit lower. When I bought the snare, the guy at the store claimed he likes his snares tuned up a little higher than normal....

I own one of these and I think it to be one of the most versitile snares on the market.

Its very common for these drum sales guys to be selling high pitched tuned snares. In fact, in many staores its a directive because they know that sound is very poular today. Often, they have them so cranked, they have no personallity.

This is a 6" drum. You can definatley tune it lower. However, if you have the factory heads on it, you may find they have been stretched and depending upon how much they cranked it, it may sound a little funky if you drop it too much.

IMHO this drum sounds best with Evans Genera Coated Snare Batter and a 200 snare side head.

Follow this rule, tune the batter side for feel (response to your sticks) and tune the resonant side for pitch. Great drum, follow your heart and ears, there are no pitch police, be your own voice.

Archived