Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tony Williams

mrthirsty

I just put on some Tony Williams today for the first time in a while, man this guy was an innovator, every time I listen to him I hear something new that I didn't realize before about his playing. Anyone have any suggestions on some specific recordings? I'd like to get more of his stuff, unfortunately I'm not terribly knowledgable of all the people he played with.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tony Williams (1945-1997) served as drummer for Miles Davis from 1963-1969 and played with what was arguably Miles' best band, along with Wayne Shorter, Ron Carter, and Herbie Hancock. He also recorded several fusion albums, and had two collections of his music released just before his passing in 1997 ... The Best of Tony Williams (Blue Note) and Tony Williams Lifetime - Spectrum: The Anthology (Verve). His last studio album was Wilderness, which featured Hancock, Pat Metheny, Michael Brecker, and Stanley Clarke.

All of these albums plus the stuff with Miles Davis is a must have. It's incredible to hear him with Miles, especially when you realize Tony was only 18 years old when first joined the band!

Hope this helps.

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

There is a 6-CD set of that particular Miles Davis quintet, "The Complete Columbia Recordings". It comes in a yellow canvas like sleeve with a thick book and the discs. This is an outstanding set that I recommend to all of you. Tony plays as beautifully as ever.

Another interesting Tid-bit on Tony: Tony was Miles' favorite drummer. He started playing w/ Miles when he was 17 if I remember correctly. Miles talks a lot about him in his Autobiography, which is a GREAT book I strongly encourage anyone interested in Jazz to read.

Archived