Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Seattle scene

DrummerCafe

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually contemplated moving to Seattle during the big grunge movement but apparently there was a flood of musicians with the same idea and decided against it.

Austin, Nashville, Detroit, and other music towns have had the same problem.

Hey Bart, Whatcha gonna be doing while there?

ian*

ian*

Well, the month of November is my time to check out cities that I am considering to relocate to. I'm Seattle doing just that, but will be in Nashville in two weeks for PASIC then back a week later to take my family to Nashville to scout out property and the house market.

I'd love to find some places in Seattle where I can find old instruments or unique imports. I've got a few connections here, and one member of the Drum Ring International who lives in Seattle.

I think Nashville is going to win my final vote, but I'm trying to keep an open mind.

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

How come you don't like Texas? Don't you care for Austin at all?

My friend has been living in between Seattle and Vancouver for many years. She's very liberal but even she gets tired of the flakes out there. She says the people there have a certain LA attitude that she can't stand (this was about Seattle).

Nashville or a suburb there of would be nice I suppose even though I've never been there. Seems like laid back country living with the city and music biz in easy reach.

Tennesee though? YUK...I guess it's what one is used to.

Flakey is a very accurate label for the majority of the liberal citizens in Seattle. I clearly don't fit in here ... as I suspected. I just got back from Market Square and thought I would lose my mind! LOL

Austin is a great city, and very beautiful, but musically speaking it is a very narrow minded in the way of opportunity. I've worked in Austin, playing with some big name entertainers, but still feel that I would be very constrained.

I love the climate in Austin, but I love Nashville's weather much better. I'm also a lover of flora and fauna, which Nashville would also lead in. Being able to raise my kid(s) in a great community AND have a lot of diversity musically is such a great possibility. I grew up in Missouri, so Tennessee feels great to me.

I wouldn't fit the LA mindset either. So I'll keep searching.

I can make anywhere work as long as there is opportunity for growth and the pond is big enough. I'll never be an "A" player, and I'm cool with that. Nashville has such a great musical community; it's really wonderful. Other musicians are very nice and there is a real sense of friendship shared by all.

Hey, Can I go too? I'm definately in a dead end town!

ian*

Drummer For Hire:

Name: Ian Baker

Band: Searching

Drums: TAMA Rockstar 6pc

Cymbals: Sabian

Mics: Shure and Audio Technica

Genre: You name it!

Email: iancadebaker@yahoo.com

[ 11-04-2001: Message edited by: ian* ]

ian*

:) Well, I'm sitting here on the water front in West Seattle, being sprayed by the tide rolling in off the Puget Sound. Very nice and relaxing.

I'm going to bum around the town again today to see what I can see.

Supposedly there is a lot of film & studio work here for musicians; but I know very few people and it would definitely take a number of years to break into steady work. Don't have the time to start ALL OVER AGAIN ... I've got a family to provide for. My sister-in-law pointed out several musicians on the streets around Market Square who were lacking a drummer. I've known guys who make over 30K playing on the streets of New York ... but that's poverty line for New York! LOL

This is what sucks about moving, which I've done a lot of over the years. Every time you move, you start over ... making new friends, new contacts; searching for work and shaking every bush that might drop a piece of fruit ... yeilding a gig. I'm used to it by now, but it's not fun starting from scratch ... again. I've got to find a place to live and STAY THERE!!!

I'll be heading back to Dallas tomorrow (Monday); it will be good to be home.

Thanks to all of you for your input on this subject matter.

Archived