Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Midi Pads

meccajay

Im currently using a keyboard as my midi drum controller(pathetic I know)in the studio. Im obviosly in the market for some midi pads. I was wondering what thoughts you guys had on any of them. For instance whats the major difference between a Roland SPD-11 and an Octopad II?? Are the Octopads 'pads' plastic vs gum rubber on the SPD-11 etc??? Help!!!

I do like the format of the Roland pad(rectangular shape) but dont know much else about them.....Any Thoughts?

TROLL . . . ish.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an Octapad 2 and and spd 6

The octpad 2 is limited on sounds unless you have some of the sound cards. Plus the pads are plastic and LOUD....it's older technology and the sounds to me have a digital brittlness to them.

The SPD 20 has a lot of hip sounds but you pay for them. They also have the gum rubber pads. There are 8 pads as well.

The SPD 6 is new and has a street price of 250 bucks...it's internal sounds are good and you can make a 6 piece kit. No editing on sounds though but pads have a nice feel. Instructions are tough to understand in midi section and global settings are a pain in the ass...it's like hold 2 buttons press one, press another, etc. But you get what you pay for...they are functional.

Thanx Felix!

I was thinking about the SPD-6 but after seeing how SMALL it is I thought Id be frustrated trying to play it!! It seems it would prohibit me from getting wild, which I might do from time to time!! I dont really need internal sounds as I have tons in the studio rack units... How do you manage when going from your Octopad II to the smaller SPD-6??

TROLL . . . ish.

well, to me the octopad was too darn big cause I set it up with my acoustic kit. I love the little sp-6 cause it fits in close and snug between cymbals and the like, fits right in my trap case and can run on batteries if the need arises.

I'd get the bigger one if you have the cash (spd-20)...you get more sounds and a midi in / out

Archived