Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

alesis master link

felix stein

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Felix... you using ADATs or hard disk? If you have ADATs, I think it's very worthwhile, but only if you're using the 24-bit ones. Some pros are sort of pre-mastering to it and using it as the delivery medium for mastering lab. Just pull out the drive and FedEx away. The guy who did Melissa Etheridge's recent album did it this way, but from Pro Tools to the Masterlink.

I considered getting one, but a) it's only useful for making actual *albums* and that's a one-step thing that doesn't happen on a daily basis (I only like to spend lots of money on gear I'll use daily) and b) I get great mastering results with TDM plug-ins.

But cool! It's a great box!

Just for the record.

I'm going to stick with 20 bit adats and cakewalk with my 24bit DAL card for a couple more years it looks like.

I priced out 3 different studio scenarios to upgrade my ADAt studio and man, for what I do, none of them made dollars and sense. I rarely edit and I'm not into midi or lots of effects so what the hell, why buy a caddy when you only need a chevy.

ADats are just so cheap right now and sound great.

I would like a Manley Variable Mu and an apogee DA AD 1000 platinum set of converters and I think I would be setski.

Plus I'm more into hip pres and expensive mics, monitors anyways.

So I looked at a full blown G4 rig with PT...6700.

The tascam digital board DM 24 and MX2424 combo...6900.

And a masterlink and another adat...1600

I have a Joe Meek compressor anyways that might work for some overall squish, but that really colors the sound...I want the manley.

It would be nice to dump the mackies and get a sound craft ghost though. But for now I'm thru...I'm just going to let my room do the work.

Originally posted by sidereal:

If you have ADATs, I think it's very worthwhile, but only if you're using the 24-bit ones.

I don't agree with this. Multiple tracks of 20-bit audio make more bits audio when mixed together.

yeah, it's everything they tout it to be. I'm surprised:

did some shelf eq'ng on the highs and lows a couple of db and a db of limiting...cropped some songs and burnt the EP in a loop mode. Awesome hot sounding cd-and a relatively quick burn too boot.

If you want one, send me your address...that goes for everyone...it's a fan club thing my band is doing I guess.

But then you have to put up with my spam.

Archived