Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Reality of the situation

KikkyMonk

I marched snare, quints, and did one year of pit in high school. Did the concert band thing. I just turned 20 and sat down at the kit for the first time. I never was all that serious in high school. Now I really really like drums. Is there hope in me trying to be a professional? I know all you guys are going to say is nothing is out of reach... but frankly it sucks to hear that all the drummers I look up to started playing when they were REALLY young. How can I ever hope to learn the things that they learn that young (things you can't teach) Is there hope or what?

Dave

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's unfortunate that the public schools don't place more emphasis on drumset. If they have a "jazz" band ... only one or two drummers get to participate. Preparing you for life in the real world falls a bit short when it comes to music.

I have known many a player who had great chops from being in marching band, but had nothing going on downstairs with the feet. I'm sure that this will be an area that you will have to focus on.

If you want to be a professional musician, I would highly recommend that you attend the college/university of your choice and get a degree in music. Going to school for music will provide you the environment and training you will need to round the areas you are currently lacking. Unfortunately, depending which school you go to, they will make you being in the marching band ... again.

Yes, there are great players that have started when they were very young. But there are just as many drummers out there who are very average and have been playing for decades. It's all up to you and how hungry you are to be the best you can be.

Practice. Listen to ALL styles of music. Practice. Read music periodicals like Modern Drummer. Practice. Hang out with musicians who are already doing what you want to do. Practice. Study with great drummers/teachers. Practice. Be able to play ALL styles of music. Practice. While you're young and in school, play in as many groups/bands as you can, even if they don't pay a dime. And one last thing ......... PRACTICE some more. You should be practicing at LEAST TWO HOURS a day. When I was in school working on my bachelor degree in music, I would practice 8 hours a day, but that was divided up between drumset, snare, timpani, vibes, marimba, accessories, hand drums, etc.

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Archived