Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Last night I went to Jupiter and Brian Blade was there

sidereal

Well, not Jupiter, but I felt like I was in another world. I got backstage access to Herbie Hancock's show at the 700 seat Zellerbach Hall. I sat right to the side and behind Brian Blade, whom I'd never seen before. He completely floored me. The way this guy played the kit was so incredible and so odd, I was just sitting there shaking my head. I don't even know what to say. It almost seemed like he was playing everything wrong and yet it was just phenominal and so expressive and textured. Michael Brecker was there, and John Pattitucci on upright, Herbie, and some trumpet player I didn't recognize. They were letting it all go and it was just total cosmic free jazz.

I don't know why I'm writing this, but I was just completely moved and inpired. I dreamed about it all night. One of those moments I'll never forget. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Just for the record.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you mean wrong but right? I thought Terri Lynne Carrington had that gig. Was his show in surround? I read in EQ this month that his band was working on that...with the PRO Control 24 as the main mixer.

Pretty cool. I was sitting in a bar listening to Led Zepp....not quite the same experience.

Funny you mention that story because I gave the guy at EQ the lead on that. I wrote it before he did, and he called me to ask about it. Then he wrote up his own. It's MY story dammit! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Anyway... Herbie's engineer Dave Hampton mixed live with a ProControl (not a Control 24) on the previous tour. Dave's the one who got me backstage. This wasn't part of that tour. No surround mixing. It was just a one-off show.

Just for the record.

Archived