Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hi-Hat Technique?

KikkyMonk

There is a whole buncha stuff I hear on CDs that people do with there high hats that I can't seem to mimic. I got the closed-hit-it-and-release-splash-thing down kinda, but that does quite sound like anything I want to do... Any videos maybe? Suggestions?

Dave

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Left foot hi-hat is easily one of the most underutilized techniques. There are lots of things you can do (I suggest listening to Vinnie Colaiuta a *lot*), but try something simple first.

Place your foot flat on the pedal, push down, then lift up to create a splash. If you've never used those muscles before, it's going to feel awkward at first, but it's definately worth your time to build them up. Shoot for consistent eighth notes, anyway.

I use this technique on ballads a lot, particularly if I'm trying to deemphasize the ping in my ride, or maintaining the pulse without obstructing the mood. Sometimes I'll get a slush thing going by slamming the hats using the balls of my feet if I'm playing something funky. I'm always trying to find new ways to provide lift and direction, and when I've done all I can for a song, or if the verse repeats too often, I'll resort to splashing the hi-hats as one more building block. Experiment! I have a tendency to play duplets on the hats, or 2 against 3, in 6/8. I really have to get out of that rut. It worked once, but it's not always advisable. =)

I love the hi-hat so I want to learn anything and everything on technique. Any vids or books? I hear stuff on CDs that I like but can't figure out how to do them.

Is most of the hi-hat stuff done with releasing the pedal or stomping (for the splash thing) like a closed eight note pulse with a splash on the and of four... is that just releasing a bit of pressure on the pedal or doing a foot splash?

Dave

Originally posted by KikkyMonk:

I love the hi-hat so I want to learn anything and everything on technique. Any vids or books? I hear stuff on CDs that I like but can't figure out how to do them.

Oddly, I don't recall anyone ever discussing left-foot hi-hat in their videos. Maybe because no one ever asks them about it in clinics. I think it would be well worth someone's time to at least describe their technique, even if only briefly.

Is most of the hi-hat stuff done with releasing the pedal or stomping (for the splash thing) like a closed eight note pulse with a splash on the and of four... is that just releasing a bit of pressure on the pedal or doing a foot splash?

It's a lot of different things, borne from experimentation. You definately need to lift your feet one way or another, but you don't always have to lift it all the way. Depends how crisp you want your splash. Since I am unable to demonstrate anything to you, I'll try and explain a few different techniques to you:

1. Flat foot. Think of it like tapping your toe, bouncing it up as soon as you bring the hats together. This will give you a crisp splash, but not much volume.

2. Ball of foot. Literally lift your toes *and* heel so only the ball of your foot is touching the pedal. This gives you more of a pushing motion, almost like a loft kick (if you've ever played soccer). Another way of thinking is to imagine pushing something away with your left foot -- you need to release and follow through to achieve full force. This is for a louder splash.

3. Rolling motion, backwards.I start out using position No. 2, but roll my foot to position No. 1 so the edge of the hats bounce off each other. This how I create that slushy sound. It's tricky to learn. I wouldn't attempt to master this before getting a feel for the first two positions.

4. Rocking motion. This is a combination of positions No. 3 and 1, only I roll in position No. 1 rather than resting a flat foot. This is *really* hard to learn. I still can't do it at fast tempos, but I think I'll be able to do more with it once I can nail it. Theoretically, you should be able to get any sound using this method. I want to create some sixteenth-note patterns for latin grooves, but I don't if I'll have enough practice time in my lifetime to be able to do that!

Hope this helps. Wish I could point you to a video.

I forgot to explain a couple things in my last post:

- Practice slowly! Get a feel for how your muscles are working and remember what produces successful results. It may not sound exactly the way you want it to at first, but it will sound better when you work your muscles and can play faster. I've actually figured out which technique works best at certain tempos and volumes. This is very helpful when you want to play this on the fly.

- Practice playing against other limbs, especially your right foot. Once I got both foot using multiple techiniques, I realized I was more of a dancer than a drummer. That's fun! When I achieve that mindset, the feel of the music goes through the roof.

yeah I listen alot to Dave... not really because of carter (although I like him) His hi-hat work is nice... I also really dig Danny Carey of Tool... he over-plays but in the musical context it doesn't sound that way... (although some parts of there new CD are WAY over played)

Dave

Archived