Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Electronic drum advice

Passeist

I'm getting ready to buy an electronic kit. Can anyone recommend some good sources of info?

I'm looking for the cheapest kit I can get that will have some dynamic response. I've been told I can get good drums for a reasonable price, but the sound module will cost a fortune. I can live with a cheap sound module, since I'll only be using the kit for practicing in my apartment.

I know nothing about electronics, so any advice would be appreciated.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Yamaha DTXpress has about the best bang for the buck in simple practice-type e-drums....sold new for about $1000, can be found used on ebay for about $750....

Alesis DM Pro drum module is another cost effective way to go...Again, look to Ebay and find one for around $450....

the absolute cheapest way to go is to build your own pads, and V-drums.com will take you to some sites that take you step by step in that direction...If your not so mechanically inclined, Pintech makes very good pads at a reasonable price..

Otherwise, its not a venture for the financially challenged...

Thanks for the response.

The math works like this; I can spend $45 to rent a practice space once a week. Over a year, that's $2,340 (Canadian). I want good pads but I use a small kit and I can live with a cheap-o sound module so, hopefully, I can find something within that budget.

I never used practice pads much in the past, but in the last year I've become really enamoured of being able to practice for half an hour before work, or whenever I feel like it.

listen im selling a pearl rythmic traveler set with mesh heads, im aware that you can trigger the mesh heads ( that have a great feel) and buy a module and thats it!!!!is the cheapest way to do it, but the feel of that drum set with mesh heads is really good. anyways im not sure im selling the kit with a zildijian zdt cymbal set too, and just for 400$ ...if i wouldnt have a v drum set already i would consider some stuff like that

Yeah, if I go electronic I definitely want mesh heads. My hands have already taken quite a beating (construction work) and I really don't like the idea of playing on plastic/rubber pads. The practice pad is fine for snare work, because I'm not usually putting any real arm motion or force into it, but once I start reaching for the toms...

Here's an alternative. Rather than going electronic, I'm considering going to brushes. I could stuff pillows into the drums, hang cloth from the cymbals, and use light wire brushes.

Do you think that would be more, or less, realistic than an electronic kit?

I think you should definitely get into brushes. I'm not a brush player at all but I aspire to get better at them someday.

If you aren't into electric sounds and won't use them DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY.

Work on your jazz man, get your brushes happening! Maybe get a felt beater or something, you won't bother anyone.

I just went through exactly the same thing as you. I wanted to practice more, and was considering DTX's. I tried some out and was totally unimpressed. They are tiny, expensive (compared to practicing in a rental studio, 5 bucks an hour with kit), and sounded like 'Electric Drums' (DUH!). Not worth spending the money for a practice kit.

I also wanted to record, and was drawn to the DTX because you could hook it to the computer. Then I figured I needed some mixing software, a midi-audio convertor, a decent sound card etc. etc...Shelve that idea...

So I went out yesterday and bought a TASCAM 414 4-track (about $180 on special) to record the drums at the studio on, and I'll probably buy a cheap practice pad kit soon. I don't need drum sounds to practice my licks half an hour a day at home, and I certainly don't need to spend a grand to do it. Forget the electric drums as a practice kit, you could buy a Rhythm traveller AND still go to the studio and still be spending less money than on the electric kit.

My advice, for all it is worth. Cheers!

Archived