Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ambidexterity

Passeist

It seems there are two schools of thought about developing the weak hand.

Many say that a drummer should get to a point where the weak hand can do every thing the strong hand can do. Then it just doesn't matter which way a figure is being played or how it ends. Everything should be played with alternating stickings (lead with the right, then with the left) as much as possible.

Another school of thought says a drummer should develop the weak hand as much as possible, but it's unrealistic to expect ambidexterity. The the two hands just work differently and a drummer should develop a system of playing that minimizes alternate stickings.

Lately, I've been leaning toward the second school of thought. I can work all day, leading with the left, and as soon as I'm in a real playing situation, the right takes over. Why fight it?

Any thoughts or advice?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I've never thought of these being two schools of thought. I work on developing my "weaker" hand so that I can play anything I want no matter which hand I lead with. Even if you can lead with either hand, you would have to perform a double stroke at some point in order to travel where you need to on the kit. This assumes of course that you aren't just moving around the toms in one direction.

I've also worked on developing stickings, etc., which takes into account my stronger versus my weaker hand.

My playing is at the point now where I can just play and not worry which hand is doing what. If an instrument is on my right or I'm moving towards my right ... I use or lead with my right hand. If an instrument is on my left or I'm moving towards my left ... I use or lead with my left hand.

Sounds simple ... and it is really, but it does take a certain amount of practice. The difficulty comes when you try to apply grooves and fills that you have learned one way, and now you are trying to play it another way. It makes you feel off balance to some degree, but that's largely due to the fact that you have your muscles trained to work a certain way when your brain tells it to play a particular rhythm or sound. You've got these invisible strings that try and pull your body in a certain direction. A perfect example being those that can't help but strike with their right hand when the right foot is also involved.

I think a good place to start with all of this is too do what you suggested in Method #1, while continuing to work on Method #2. Spend time creating new fills, grooves and rhythms that favor or lead with your weaker hand. The more you use it the stronger it will become, and the more independent it will be.

One final thought, when I first starting favoring my weaker (left) hand, I would use it on the hihat whenever possible. If you are playing with a group, find a few songs that have simple grooves and try using the left hand on the hihat for those tunes. You'll be surprised not only how different the groove will sound, but also over time, just that you ARE able to do this and it's not impossible.

------------------

Bart Elliott

http://bartelliott.com

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

I agree to some extent where the dominant hand takes over. But there are many fills I play leading with the left. I also feel I can comp better with my left hand has well. I sorta assign different patterns to different limbs for grooves.

It's not a biggie really (for me). I do like to play off beats with my left currently, but I don't really analyse these things. I just play and if I have to play on the down beat with the left side of my set then I'll use my left. One thing that I am not comfortable with is playing rock "open" or leading with my left. Same with latin or jazz style. Linear styles don't bother me so much since I ground the time with my hi-hat (unless I'm playing a linear figure stepping the hat). Since I like rides more than hats...it works for me when I go to the toms in a groove. So whatever works. I probably should agonize with my left more, but I play just fine leading with my right side. I would rather just work on other stuff, and if it happens to be a fill leading with my left, great.

I actually do some things better with my left than right. So I don't really worry about it. Work on your left side the rest of your life but play what is comfortable and grooves. That's my advice. Everyone's different.

I've been trying to develop more of a left hand lead. I play on the hats 95% of the time open handed, but I play my belled ride right handed and lead mostly right handed. I also put my old hi-hats (just got K/Zs last week, after a LONG time waiting to get enough cash for them) on the right so I can play open handed still, but right handed. I do alot of left handed leading on the hi-hats. I mean, like if I use both hands on the hats, I use my left hand to hit the snare. I'm starting to learn rudiments left handed, I'm having trouble with left handed hertas. Dispite playing left handed mostly, my left hand still can't keep up with my right. I thought this would even them, and it has made my left stronger, but since I do so many things with my right hand (one handed rolls, ghost notes, one handed fills, alot of splash work), it just made my right stronger. So both hands got stronger, and I'm still trying to match my left hand up with my right, but it's hard to get them even. Hopefully learning rudiments left handed will help a little.

Derek

http://www.mp3.com/DustinDerek

I can't really explain what it is, it's like a roll with a 3/4 feel in 4/4. Hard to explain exactly what it is, because I just learned it by accident while mimicking Carter for so long. One hand is doing a different pattern than the other, it's hard to explain. I just do it off of feel, you can't tell that the patterns are that much different in each hand until to play one hand on the snare and the other on your leg. I'm sure someone else can explain this...

Derek

http://www.mp3.com/DustinDerek

One version of a herta can be found at: http://www.thedrumclub.com/RUDIMENT/essential/Singlestrokes/SINSTR6.HTM

The main page is at:

www.thedrumclub.com

If you navigate the menus, you'll find a bunch of rudiments, including two versions of hertas.

Personally, I find the herta is like the stuff in Stone's Stick Control, it sounds amazing, but only within a very narrow range of tempo, and it's a tempo that not many pop songs are written for. Indespensible for soloing or instrumental noodling, though. Another thing about herta's is that they don't sound like anything until you get them quick enough. Check out the audio file at the drumclub to see how they sound when played quickly.

To get back on topic, though, it seems there's (sort of) a consensus: Practice with the left hand as much as possible, but do what feels right when playing.

Also, I should have been more careful with my terminology. Generally, "ambidextrous" drumming refers to playing the ride with the weak hand. I was thinking more along the lines of playing five-stroke-rolls, and single-stroke-rolls left-handed. Good thing to do when working on the pads, not such a great idea (unless you're BRILLIANT) when actually playing.

Archived