Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DTXPRESS Question...

oyajipunk

Hey folks, just a question about DTXpress, trying to clear up a few things before taking the plunge and buying one. But first, what I want to use it for:

1) Practice (I have to pay for a practice studio at the moment, so I will save money plus it will be more convenient practicing at home).

2) Recording drum tracks for simple demo tapes (for the band to use for arranging purposes, not to distribute.)

Questions:

1) Can the midi track be converted to an audio (wav) file on your computer using the original hardware/software that comes with the DTXpress?

2) Can I use the same original soft/hardware to mix a midi drum track I have recorded with a pre-recorded audio file? The DTXpress module does advertize that it has a 2-channel sequencer, but would this be better achieved on the computer?

I have searched the net for answers to these questions (the dtxpressions.com site won't open, by the way) and have had no luck. Any help you can provide a beginner with would be appreciated. Thanx!!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the DTXpress when I first came out and as far as I know it never came with any software/hardware...You basically got the module with midi in and out, a serial port to connect to a mac or pc, and a two track built in sequencer....

to do midi/audio recording with any degree of success forget the 2 track on board sequencer and get a software sequencer like Cakewalk, Mastertracks, Cubase, N-track, or Logic...then you need a decent soundcard for you computer so you can convert the digital to analog...

Some soundcards have a built-in midi interface...I use a Motu micro express which is six midi out and 4 midi in...the midi interface is the "brain" of your midi rig...

I got the DTXpress working well with Cakewalk...you can make your own custom patch banks within Cakewalk so you can call up patches in your computer sequencer and thru transmit and receive it will change the patch in your module..

the easiest way to do it is simply record a midi track, then record it as an audio track, and then lay your other audio tracks, (bass, guitar, keyboard, vocals) over that.....

Thanks cap. I was under the impression the DTXpress came with a simple Yamaha mixer for your computer, maybe I was mistaken.

Forgive me, for I really am a beginner here, and had a little trouble keeping up with your explanation. Let's say I have a computer with a decent midi capable sound card, and freeware 4 or 8 channel mixing software (I don't have the cash for the real thing).

So now I have an audio track mixed in with my DTX midi track on the computer. If I burn this to a CD using my generic audio CD software, I should end up with an audio file right? My major concern is whether the appropriate midi sounds will be associated with the DTX midi signals when outputting the file to a CD (that's how little I know about midi). If my sound card couldn't 'cope' then would I be able to hook the DTX module up so the computer could use those midi sounds?

Sorry again for asking so many questions when I don't have the actual machine in front of me, but this is such a large expenditure for me (err, actually my wife is the one resisting this) I really need to know if it will do what I want it to before buying. Maybe I should just save for another year and get a sound card and Cakewalk too...

Thanks again. Keep tappin'! (P.S. Have you accessed the DTXpressions site? Did it display? I always get an error.)

oyajipunk...

do yourself a favor, save some of your money and buy the right gear before you jump into this...otherwise, you'll be up till 3am pulling your hair out of you head getting things to work, you'll get no sleep and you'll be miserable all day....I don't think thats going to make your wife happy...Its not as expensive as you think for your application...

First of all, you're not understanding the basics of the differences between audio and midi...midi is not audio or sound, it is simply information...midi sends out signals to your module (like the dtxpress) telling it what to play, how loud, and in what order....so it follows that you cant transfer midi data itself to a recorded cd because you will only be transfering information...

when you record midi in a computer software sequencer, all you are doing is recording information that will later tell your drum module what notes to play, etc...so basically, once you record a midi performance in your computer, you have to then record the the audio ouput of the module into your sequencer, where it will be captured as real live audio, where it can then be transferred to a CD with your other audio tracks....

this is what you need... First,a decent soundcard that also has midi in and out capability....you can pick up a decent soundblaster or turtle beach card for less that $100....you can use the joystick gaming port as your midi in and out, you just need the midi y-cord and two midi cable to go to your dtxpress...for less than $200, Cubase makes a Project Pac which has the soundcard and the basic software sequencer in one package..Or get a

Midiman Audiophile 24/96 card, very good card...I think it might even come with basic Logic software....

Second, get a decent softward sequencer and learn how to use it...I've seen Cakewalk Home Studio on Ebay for $50....there's a basic Cubase for about $75, MasterTracks Pro is about $30....I highly recommend getting a sequencer that comes with a manual, read it from cover to cover and you will never regret it....

Cap, thanks for your patience. I know midi is data only, I thought maybe when I played the track on my PC the CDR would record what was coming out of the speakers as opposed to what data was in the file. As you say, there are more surefire ways of gaining potentially better results, so I will get the necessary software - didn't know it was that cheap! Thanks again.

Bart, the DTXpressions site is a UK one, very highly recommended on the Yahoo DTX chat group, but the site is constantly down. The address http://www.welcome.to/DTXpressions seems to be correct, but the site just isn't up.

Archived