Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

for the DMB fans, i got lillywhite

rlhubley

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lillywhites are amazing! I heard Sweet Up & Down live like only the 4th time it was ever played live. It was kick ass, on the live version, they don't hold out that note at the begining while Carter is playing. I'm talking where they do the little pattern, and then Carter does a little filler for a measure, like some kind of groove. Live, they stop and Carter does like little solos for each measure, it's great! I think some things on Everyday are horrible, but there is some good stuff there. When The World Ends is a great song, and damn fun to play with that little shuffle like pattern. Mother Father is great, Fool To Think is great, weird time signature, So Right is great, If I Had It All is great, Dreams Of Our Father is great as well, and of course, the song Everyday is one of the songs I rank up in the top of all DMB songs. Especially live, they mix it with #36 (The one that goes "Honey, Honey, Come and Dance With Me" heard on Red Rocks or Listener Supported) for the outro with the "Lovely Ladies" singing #36 and Dave singing Everyday. It's great! However, Everyday unfortunatley has I Did It, Space Between, and Sleep To Dream Her. Angel and What You Are are just there, not too bad, but not too good. I want to hear some more Lillywhite styled stuff, screw their new producer, that guy sucks, he ruins the band. I don't care if Dave plays electric, I just wish this guy wouldn't make Dave play some crap. Everyday was only 40 minutes long I think. And that's compared to the Lillywhites almost running over 74. Oh well, the old Dave will be back. Hopefully.

Derek

http://www.mp3.com/DustinDerek

Originally posted by DerekDrums:

However, Everyday unfortunatley has I Did It, Space Between, and Sleep To Dream Her.

Space Between is endemic of the poor writing standards in popular music today. I'm having a difficult time believing a vet songwriter like Dave Matthews composed that chorus. The progression is so common to ballads, it's almost a parody of ballads. Consider me disappointed with the "new" DMB.

I don't think he wrote that chorus. Glen Ballard probably did. In fact he probably wrote that whole song.

The history here is that they had the Lillywhite sessions going and, depending on whose story you believe, either the A&R guys didn't hear a hit single, or Dave's drinking problems led him to trash it. Either way, the record company hooked him up with Alanis Morrisette/No Doubt producer Ballard. In two weeks or so they co-wrote the songs you hear on Everyday.

Everyday was produced in a music-making factory, plain and simple. It blows, and typifies everything bad with the music business.

Just for the record.

Archived