Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What Did U Practice Yesterday Pt2

felix stein

I wrote out a kick line where I played eight note trips and snare on 2&4.

Well that certainly was easy enough...so I wanted to keep the exact same speed on the kicks but give it the simple "16 th note" feel...snare accented on the 3...not too tough...I wrote it out and *behold* the phrase turned out to be 16/8.

This is getting interesting I said to myself so I did a diddle/swiss trip permutation over the top to add "sprinkles"

Not bad-mix the two feels, play the "herky jerky". So I started playing 7's over the top, but breaking them up and artificially grouping "ruffs"/ drags/3 stroke roll doubles (whatever, you get the picture) over the top.

Very nice, now I just have to play swiss triplets on the bottom while I play the 7's on top...and then go back to the 16th note kick groove...tee hee hee...very funny.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by felix stein:

Lockbody,

Is Art Verdi your drummer?

Sorry, Felix, but the refernce is lost on me. When I have some more time later today I'll try to look him up. Our band plays (for lack of a better term) hardcore music. We've been making him do stuff like this for years.

He and I have been playing together on and off for around 14 years.

He's probably one of the most talented musicians I've ever known. It's too bad he got mixed up with us! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Bob

Okay, got the time, looked him up.

Oh, and a correction. I just made up the 180bpm. So, not wanting to boast or anything, I went and downloaded N-tracks on to my work computer so I could hear a metronome and get a better idea of what the bpm actually was... try around 240bpm!

Bob

PS

There are prbably some hardcore/speedmetal guys who could knock A.V.'s d**k into the dirt http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif (Throwing down the gauntlet and running away like a little girl)

240 bpm fills are cool...funny you should mention that.

Because last night I was practicing a double paradiddle followed by a single. Got it? Great. Pretty easy huh?

Then if one groups the pattern in eighth notes you get a bar of 5/4-total of 10 notes.

Well, I wasn't into practicing 5/4 measures so what I did was turn the pattern into a "10" and played it as a fill for a beat in 4. Tee Hee Hee.

Very cool...going from a five pattern...doubling it then turning it into a diddle figure.

Tee Hee Hee...then I threw in an extra accent. Very very cool sounding if I do say so myself.

I think I will stay on this diversion and work out some different accents

and get them smooth in 4 at about 110-120 bpm.

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of weird playing going on this morning.

Swiss triplets on the kick and comping on top ala T.B.

Flipped in and out of 5/4...7/8 and who knows what else.

Did some syncopated 7 patterns that sounded kinda cool.

Squished quads in between power trips where john bonham meets neil and felix takes it to the next level. Whether higher or lower I havn't figured out yet.

Archived