Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hi Hat clutch adjustment!

serpico3

Ok I know it seems I'm dominating this forum , But this just happened and I thought it would be a Great Discussion. My student asked me to look at his Hi Hat , well to my amazement this young man had his Top Cymbal of his HiHat so lose ,He told me he copied from a video of Jazz drummers Legends namely Sam Woodyard, Well back then they didn't offer the clutches of today and to that type of swing music he'd needed it lose . For his style of playing . So I told him how I adjust mine . My top cymbal is held firm yet lose. the securing nut is not tighten to choke the Top cymbal. which will happen if you tighten that nut real tight also it gives you no play or action . It's like hitting an anvil the sound is almost the same, were as a tight cymbal will give you quick response action on back sticking. it's a minor adjustment to develop that technique with a loser cymbal. Also with mine since there is very little play between the cymbal and shaft of the clutch more wear and tear will develop a key hole in your cymbal from the constant movement up and down putting pressure on the hole lip, to correct this problem I use Teflon tape also known as plumber tape , this gives the insulation needed to protect your cymbal plus it has no affect on the cymbals resonance. Many drummers do this also.So are there any other ideas to crrect this or how do you adjust your HiHat cymbal clutch. I'm interested in hearing all ideas ........serpico3

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I adjust mine semi-tight. I use what i consider to be the best clutch out there today. It's a gibralter. The thing that makes it so great is that the bottom nut has a drumkey screw that tightens basically locks the nut in place. This clutch has never failed me. I highly reccommend it to all of you!!

Archived