Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Drum Microphones

jscoin

I am wondering what is a good set up for someone who wants to start out recording. I am a drummer, and i was thinking about starting out with a kick mic (the seinhesser kick mic forgot the number the e-series), a snare mic (shure sm57), and a overhead condenser (shure bg4.1). is this a good set up to start out with?

Now what about a mixer? what is a good but cheap mixer to start out with? and to hook the mixer up to the computer i need a analog to digital coverter and a new sound card, i dont know much about that so any ideas about that?????

thanks a lot,

jscoin

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe in killing 2 birds with one stone as far as mic choice goes!If you're like me,with limited resources,you may want to consider buying mics that will excel in both the studio and on stage.

Mic choice and placement greatly depends on the overall sound you're going for as is obvious if you read some past threads on this forum!

Times are changing and the deired sound of popular music is changing along with style of music!Research some of your favorite artists and learn what mics they use and their placement techniques.One place to start is on the Shure website.Their "artists" section lists all of the mic choices for particular sound sources of many artists.

Without knowing what style of music you play and on what level, it would be a futile effort to give any recommendations at all!

good luck

ian*

ian*

Archived