Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OK Bart, I tried the Aquarian

sidereal

Did a showcase gig last night and the promoters supplied the drum kit. I was expecting a piece of crap Export kit from the 80s or something like that. But they had a sweet DW maple that I totally fell in love with.

Anyway, they had the Aquarian kick head and I can't remember the name of it... Turbo II or Attack II or something like that. The kick sounded unbelievable, with gorgeous punch and tone... nice round bottom end. Bart, do you know the head I'm talking about? I want to buy a couple right away.

Just for the record.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure which kick drumhead you are talking about.

AQUARIAN has a number of kick drumheads, none of which go by the names you described. Of the names you described, perhaps it's one of these:

• Super-Kick II
  • Impact II
  • Response 2

The Super-Kick II and the Impact II are practically the same; both are two-ply heads. The only difference is that the Impact has a wider strip of "floating" muffling material than the Super-Kicks do. The Response 2 is normally used for toms, but they do make them big enough for kick drums. It too is a two-ply head, but with no muffling ring like the Super-Kick and Impact.

I would recommend that you check out AQUARIAN's website: http://aquariandrumheads.com

Look through their product pages and see if one of the head series stick out to you.

When I first started playing Aquarian drumheads back in 1991 they didn't have these specialty kick drumheads. The first model they came out with was the Impact series ... of which I used the Impact II. When the Super-Kick series came about, I switched to them, favoring the less muffling and more open sound I got out of my kick drum. Both of these drumheads are two-ply. A few years ago, I started using the Super-Kick I which is a single-ply version of the Super-Kick II. I like it the best because the single-ply seems to produce more low-end and not as focused a punch, which I really like.

It all comes down to what you want to hear, what you like to hear, and the drum you are using. If you plan to buy a couple, as you stated, I recommend that you get a single-ply version and a two-ply version of the head. I also recommend using their Kick Pads ... especially for the single-ply kick drumheads.

Let me know if you have any more questions. Oh, they have a Force series now as well, which I have NOT tried yet.

------------------

Bart Elliott

http://bartelliott.com

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Thanks Bart...

It must have been the Impact II then... I didn't see any additional muffling going on inside the kick and the name sounds about right. I don't know, it just sounded really good to me. It could have been the room we played in that had an effect, but it was sweet. Maybe I'll pick up one of those and then also try the single-ply head as well.

Just for the record.

Archived