Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Come here to discuss WFD

sidereal

This issue seems to not die and it seems there are very passionate views on it. The problem is that it seems to creep into every thread on this board which I don't feel is a good thing.

I'd like to propose that if there are WFD issues/opinions that we discuss them here in this thread. For what it's worth here's my opinion:

I feel WFD as a sport is not good for drumming. It's been said by others that it's a way to get young drummers interested in drumming. I think that if a young person is getting into drumming because he or she saw someone competing with others, that person is getting into it for the wrong reason. Drumming isn't about rolls and it isn't about speed, it's about the feeling that happens when playing music, the sense of community and family that occurs when you become part of a band, it's about creativity, it's about listening, it's about passion, energy and restraint. In my opinion, reeling someone into drumming with WFD sporting events is bad for drumming, bad for drummers and bad for the public perception of drumming. We're already considered fifth-wheel musicians by others because of reasons like this, because it's perceived that we're not real musicians. I want that to change. WFD contests do much more harm than good. This is why I've poked fun at it at times, and vehemently spoke out against it at other times. I think it's not good for drumming.

Also, the two magazine editors who got this whole thing started? Ron is showing restraint (which is what drummers should do) and not lowering himself to Andy's level. I've met Andy a long time ago... I didn't care for him much then and I can see he hasn't changed much (my appologies, that is my opinion, don't take it as a slam).

In fact this is all my opinion. I welcome similar views as well as differing views on this. Maybe we can get a good discussion going. Please, play nice! I've grown to like it here and don't want things getting ugly. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Just for the record.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just watched a video clip from a Tony Williams concert. Williams had incredible chops and could get around the drum set, and he put them on display in his solo. But the thing that stood out was how he took time to develop an idea, using dynamics and tonality to dictate where he went with the solo.

Playing fast *is* important, and I certainly spent a great deal of time (and still do) making sure my chops are up to speed. However, it is more important to me to play music. To the contrary, I've met a lot of young musicians -- not just drummers -- who get caught up in stuff like WFD as the be-all, end-all of musicianship. Guitarists and their 32nd note arpeggios, horn players and their high notes, drummers and their single strokes ... all of this is important to the virtuosity of the music, but by itself it is crass and over-the-top, like Las Vegas neon.

I don't personally have a problem with the WFD contest, as long as it remains in the context of a lesser pursuit. It is not capable of proving who is the world's "greatest" drummer, and I suggest it doesn't even single out the world's "fastest" drummer. I know several who would give a serious run at the title, but the contest is too low-brow for their own sentiments.

I competed in rudimental contests in high school, took it all very seriously and won a few of them, but I would never worry over such a thing these days because it barely begins to address what I'm trying to accomplish behind the drum set. When I did put all of the drum corps stuff away, I discovered my feet were woefully inadequate, and I've been paying for that negligence ever since.

If I take a few sardonic jabs at WFD, I don't mean to offend anyone. If anything, I'm having a hard time understanding why WFD hard-liners don't have more of a sense of humor about the endeavor. We can laugh about cheezy jazz-fusion, drum corps geekery, and heavy metal bombast, all the while in another thread pointing all the wonderful benefits of those narrow-focused pursuits. Maybe -- just maybe -- WFD groupies need to lighten up a little bit and promote their contest with some humility and a knowing smile.

I feel differently than both sides of the WFD battle. I think the DRUMOMETER should be looked at a little closer. It is a great learning tool. Maybe someday as important as the metronome. I think the Extreme Sport Drumming is a way to emphasize their new product. I don't really like the idea of drumming becoming a sport, but I see nothing wrong with the challenge of THE WORLDS FASTEST DRUMMER. We have always had drum battles amongst great drummers. This is really nothing new. Caring about speed, control and endurance is a good thing.

I WOULD NOT like to see someone picking up the drumsticks with no intention at all of being involved in music. In fact, I doubt that will ever happen. When I see what it takes in order to be the WFD drummer, when I go and read about Verdi, and see how he reads music, plays vibes, and knows more tech than I will ever dream of, I think that maybe this isn't so bad of an influence after all. So far, the drummers that are involved have their drums so mastered, there really is nothing left for them to learn. In that case, then I think it is a good thing. I doubt that there will ever be a drum instructor that will teach strictly SPEED. If that instructor should ever exist he should be shot. So there, I like it, I believe that you have to be great in order to even think about 1116 bpm, and especially at a good height, and challenging myself, can be just what I need. Now that does not mean by any stretch you have to feel the same way. At this point, you can call me a groupie or anything else you want to. I have all the drum equipment I need, like it all, and that sort of stuff kinda bores me. That is why I always read and post on WFD, I find it very interesting, and I am trying to get up the nerve to buy a drumometer, and find out once and for all just what that new tool will tell me.

• 3 weeks later...
I think the wfd is a good thing.I'm not crazy about it but I don't see the harm it's causing.The people on the wfd rankings don't just go home and do double strokes allday on the drumometer.It's not something you can just practice by itself you have too learn other aspects of drumming first.I got 909 doublestrokes after playing the drums for only about 8 months.My first time using the drumometer I got just over 800 double strokes.So i'm luckyer than most people who take years too slowlly build up.Tim dosen't go home and just do double kick he's also broke 1000 with his hands as well and he's a great drummer!

I think the wfd is a good thing.I'm not crazy about it but I don't see the harm it's causing.The people on the wfd rankings don't just go home and do double strokes allday on the drumometer.It's not something you can just practice by itself you have too learn other aspects of drumming first.I got 909 doublestrokes after playing the drums for only about 8 months.My first time using the drumometer I got just over 800 double strokes.So i'm luckyer than most people who take years too slowlly build up.Tim dosen't go home and just do double kick he's also broke 1000 with his hands as well and he's a great drummer!WFD I think is great as long as kids learn too play drums before they start doing nothing but using the drumometer.As far as calling it a sport i don't like that but hey if it gets kids interested in drumming than great as long as they learn too become good drummers before they start worrying about wfd and the drumometer.

Archived