Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need advice why Snare Bottom lose?

serpico3

Hey Fellow Drummers! Now I'm really going to try hard to write this with all the right puncuation! Sorry if I mess up . Here it goes, I have a Noble & Cooley Alloy Snare Drum . It has tube lugs , my problem is. The bottom head becomes lose after tuning my snare heads Top & Bottom . I've only recently tried the plastic lug locks on ther bottom lugs only hoping that cures it. Can you tell me why this happens? Thanks....serpico3

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey Serp, I can't help you on your snare problem, but I just want to make sure you took my comments with the wink and a smile they were intended. Maybe I was a little too casual ... just getting comfortable around here! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Well, IMHO they probably used too sharp a tap to make the "tubes" or tension casings/insert (I think that is what they are called) or actually went too deep with the threads. I have found that Yamaha does a great job tapping the inserts...the greater one torques, the tighter the threads hold the tension rod it seems.

You can use the tension rod locks or IT rachet rods. Or you can go in with a hardened piece of metal and "beat up" a few of the threads. Not really cool on a Noble and Cooley though. I would tell them their frigging drum won't stay in tune.

That's unfortunate. Such an incredible drum with such a bad problem. I would call up Noble & Cooley and get this taken care of. They are a relatively small company and i'm sure they would help you with this problem. The only drawback is, you might go without that wonderful drum for a little while.

Very unfortunate; I'm sure it's frustrating.

I agree with the other comments that you should contact Noble & Cooley immediately. If the tube lug inserts are not the problem, then it's the tension rods (a common problem) having too wide a threading for the lug insert. Obviously you have to have the same threading on the lug as you do on the tension rod.

You may be able to replace the lug inserts but I doubt it. Most of the tube lugs I've seen have the inserts incased in the tube lug. Perhaps there is a special method to remove them.

Precision Drum Company in New York carries a wide variety of tube lugs in different lengths. You'd be sure to find the correct one for the N&C snare drum.

Let's just pray that Noble & Cooley take some responsibility and help you out!

------------------

Bart Elliott

http://bartelliott.com

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

To my Comrades in Drums , Hey Thanks for all of your replies and advice. Gaddabout , I got a great laugh from your comment and I appreciate it very much , I'm trying hard to learn this thing. Bartman,RlHubley. Felix Stein you guys are great Thanks , Man you guys sure know the mechanics of Lugs,I was never to mechanical . Although I have torn down a few hundred Kits in my day , but this got me stumped, I called Noble and Cooley about a year or so ago about another problem I had with this same snare. And that was the Black Powered Coating was peeling off the Rim and some of the lugs, at that time I spoke to a Guy named Jim ( Since then he was let go) He hemed and hawed about this and that , bottom line he would recoat the rim and Lugs for $ 390.00 I told him he was crazy since I bought this Drum new only 6 months earlier, he then told me he would for that price redue the whole drum, I told him forget it , I brought my drum to a very great custom drum builder Joe Montineri He sent out the parts and all done for $ 75.00. By the way I've bought 2 other snares from Joe plus a 10 ply Maple Insert for my Pearl Free Floating Snare , He stained it in an awesome color plus what a difference from the stock Maple Pearl insert to his custom insert. I Highly recommend it, it cost about $135.00 the other snares are Burnin , Oh well anyway back to this Noble & Cooley, plus I own 2 others too but They don't give this problem and one of them also has Tube lugs. And yes Bartman your right on about Precission Drum of NY I've bought their tube lugs and I made a Great Snare from a Ludwig Acrolite snare I replaced their stock lugs with brass tube lugs plus I put on Die Cast rims Top and Bottom , added Precission Snares their 3/2/3 series plus added a Powerstoke 3 Top Head and an Ambassitor bottom this drum sings and rocks. I will try again with that company needless to say I 'm not to pleased with their service or warranty department.I'll let you know how it goes . thanks again..........serpico3

Archived