Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

where has BB Thomas been??

SoundzapS

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, as a young guy, W.F.D. seems important to HIM. Which is all that's really important, isn't it? Or, is it better to bash the bejesus out of someone because you're older, have more experience, and aren't into what they're into? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/confused.gif Oddly enough, I never saw HIM bash anyone because they talked about something he didn't care for. Hmmmm, makes ya think... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Just hope that we didn't run him off with such drivel. Unlike some other drummers I've met over the years, at least he showed some interest in learning about drumming. From several diverse points of view.

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always have what you've always had.

I too hope that he wasn't "run off" ... but I would like to bring some clarity to this statement:

Originally posted by ModernDrummer:

Oddly enough, I never saw HIM bash anyone because they talked about something he didn't care for.

Well, he did "bash" me and a few others early on; but he later apologized for his lack of understanding of what we were saying. Also, I don't see anyone "bashing" him; teasing perhaps. BB Thomas did take every thread and turn it into a WFD angle. Some of us simply communicated that we didn't want to talk about the WFD all the time and with every thread. If people want to talk about the WFD then start a thread about it.

Originally posted by ModernDrummer:

... at least he showed some interest in learning about drumming.

Ah, but he didn't show an interest in drumming that I ever saw or read. All I heard about was the WFD which has absolutely nothing to do about drumming. It's a sport ... a term which all WFD fans even agree with.

Imagine: You're on a bulletin board called the Football Forum. Here people talk about all the aspects of football. Some guy gets on almost every thread and states "there's this guy I know, Artamous Verticulous, who can run the 1000 yard dash in two seconds." Okay, so running is a part (ingredient) in playing football ... but who really wants to talk about that all the time? How many threads would you see about how fast a particular player can run? And ... how many people do you think would get frustrated if you post a thread to talk about Passing Techniques ... and then this guy comes in and states ... "there's this guy I know, Artamous Verticulous, who can run the 1000 yard dash in two seconds."

Perhaps my analogy is a little over the top. I'm not against the WFD, I'm not supporting those who dislike the WFD, I'm not supporting the teasing, I'm saying anything other than I personally don't want to talk about it. I would not post on a thread about it ... so why do I have to keep getting SPAMMED with the topic on other threads. Everyone here has a right to state their opinions ... in an adult fashion hopefully. Just because we disagree doesn't mean we have to go to another forum.

I hope BB Thomas is reading this. If he is, I would like to encourage him to be open and listen to those who have years of experience playing ... and life in general. In my opinion, being consumed with the WFD is NOT the same as being consumed with drumming. Young drummers typically think about nothing other than playing FAST. Young brass players tend to think about playing HIGH. Sure, those are abilities that are part of making music on your given instrument ... but the sooner they realize that there's MUCH MORE to it than that ... the better.

I personally don't think older players involved with the WFD are "consumed" with WFD ... I think they are consumed with drumming and music. Unfortunately young players, like BB Thomas, don't have the balance, experience and understanding to know better.

So again, so know one gets me wrong, I'm not FOR or AGAINST the WFD ... I just believe there are more relevent things to talk about that really matter when it comes to music and drumming. Just don't let the WFD be 98% of what you want to talk about.

Everything in moderation and love your neighbor as yourself.

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Perhaps I was a bit mean spirited, but I was in a bad mood at the time I wrote it. Still I meant it all in fun.

I have a few thoughts on this subject, so I'm going to start a new thread. Play nice!

Just for the record.

Archived